The Very Best Shows & Movies About Revenge
They say revenge is a dish best served cold, but that's not the only saying about revenge. Another is that if you plan on seeking revenge, dig two graves. Both sayings are poignant reminders about the dangers and desire of seeking revenge on the people who wronged you and thankfully, movies and shows about revenge share some amazing tales of people seeking such in the bloodiest and most conniving ways. The genre can revolve around conflicts in war or simply plots to embarrass a rival in school, which means both revenge shows and movies about getting revenge can span a range of genres.
The very best of revenge plots in movies and television extend back decades, but this list focuses on some of the more recent additions to the genre. Shows like Taboo explore a revenge plot that involves some seriously disturbing background information while top revenge films like Kill Bill Vol I & II, track the revenge plot of a female assassin who was turned on by the people she trusted... and feared the most. Whatever your interest in revenge plots, be they on the small screen or emblazoned on the big screen in theaters, there are plenty of options to choose from.
What are the best revenge movies and shows? Check out the list below and give your favorites a vote up, while voting others down accordingly. If you see any good series or movies are missing from the list, feel free to add them.
- Legendary assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) retired from his violent career after marrying the love of his life. Her sudden death leaves John in deep mourning. When sadistic mobster Iosef Tarasov ...more
- The classic story of an innocent man wrongly, but deliberately imprisoned and his brilliant strategy for revenge against those who betrayed him. Dashing young sailor Edmond Dantes (Jim Caviezel) is a ...more
- A woman puts an elaborate revenge scheme in motion to get back at her bullies.
John Wick: Chapter 2Retired super-assassin John Wick's plans to resume a quiet civilian life are cut short when Italian gangster Santino D'Antonio shows up on his doorstep with a gold marker, compelling him to repay ...more
- Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) takes power and strips rank from Maximus (Russell Crowe), one of the favored generals of his predecessor and father, Emperor Marcus Aurelius, the great stoical philosopher. ...more
- The night before his wedding, musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) and his fiancée are brutally murdered by members of a violent inner-city gang. On the anniversary of their death, Eric rises from the ...more
- A former assassin, known simply as The Bride (Uma Thurman), wakes from a coma four years after her jealous ex-lover Bill (David Carradine) attempts to murder her on her wedding day. Fueled by an ...more