The Best Musicals by Rodgers and Hammerstein
When it comes to successful composers of hit Broadway shows, Rodgers and Hammerstein are one of the most well-known duos of all time. The impact these two have had on musical theater is staggering. Not only did the pair compose catchy songs that have remained popular over time, they renovated the musical genre by weaving serious social commentary into their work. Works like South Pacific and The Sound of Music addressed tragic historical eras and explored social issues of the day. The best Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals are some of the most beloved shows of all time, still widely performed today.
The appeal of Rodgers & Hammerstein extends well beyond the theatric world as there have been a nearly uncountable number of adaptations of their plays over the years. The movie version of The Sound of Music swept the 1966 Academy Awards and NBC aired a live performance of the show in 2013. Movies like Oklahoma! and The King and I remain veritable Hollywood classics. Not to mention, there are plenty of pop culture references to their works in modern media. The top Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals make their phenomenal impact on the stage more than apparent. If you're looking for musical recommendations, browse this list!
- The Sound of Music is a multiple Tony Award-winning musical by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and a book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. It is based on the memoir of Maria von ...more
- Oklahoma! is the first musical written by the team of composer Richard Rodgers and librettist Oscar Hammerstein II. The musical is based on Lynn Riggs' 1931 play, Green Grow the Lilacs. Set in farm ...more
- South Pacific is a musical composed by Richard Rodgers, with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and book by Hammerstein and Joshua Logan. The work premiered in 1949 on Broadway and was an immediate hit, ...more
- The King and I is the fifth musical by the team of composer Richard Rodgers and dramatist Oscar Hammerstein II. It is based on Margaret Landon's novel, Anna and the King of Siam (1944), which is in ...more
- Carousel is the second musical by the team of Richard Rodgers (music) and Oscar Hammerstein II (book and lyrics). The 1945 work was adapted from Ferenc Molnár's 1909 play Liliom, transplanting its ...more