We’re ranking the biggest and most popular roguelike video games in 2020. This growing subgenre often utilizes dungeon-style levels, tile graphics, and RPG-like gameplay mechanics. Of course, arguably the defining characteristic of any roguelike game is the fact that most characters only have one life - making them exponentially more difficult.
What’s your favorite roguelike game? Dead Cells brought the heat in 2018, and Don’t Starve is often cited as one the most successful releases in the genre. Sure, these games may be popular, but does that mean they're the best? You tell us!
Vote up your favorite roguelike games and add your own if they’re missing from the list.
Enter the Gungeon is a bullet hell roguelike video game developed by Dodge Roll and published by Devolver Digital. Enter the Gungeon is a fast-paced bullet hell shooter with roguelike elements, and ...more
- Genres (Video game): Bullet hell, roguelike
Dead Cells is a roguelike-metroidvania hybrid video game developed and published by Motion Twin. Following about a year in early access, Dead Cells was released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, ...more
- Genres (Video game): Roguelike, metroidvania
- 3Darkest Dungeon is a role-playing video game developed and published by indie game developer Red Hook Studios. The game, following an Early Access development period, was released in multiple ...more
The Binding of Isaac is a 2011 independent video game designed by Edmund McMillen and Florian Himsl. It was released on Steam on September 28, 2011. Players control a crying naked child named Isaac ...more
- Genres (Video game): Action-adventure game, Dungeon crawl, Roguelike
- Genres (Video game): Turn-based tactics
- Rogue Legacy is an indie platformer with roguelike elements by Cellar Door Games released on June 27, 2013 for Microsoft Windows and via OnLive cloud gaming platform. Macintosh and Linux versions of ...more
Spelunky is an indie platform game developed and published by Mossmouth, LLC. The game was released for PC in 2008, Xbox 360 in 2012, PlayStation 3 in 2013, PlayStation 4 in 2014, and for Nintendo ...more
- Genres (Video game): Action-adventure game, Puzzle game, Platform game, Action game
Don't Starve is a 2013 action-adventure video game with survival and roguelike elements, developed and published by the indie company Klei Entertainment. The game was initially released via Valve's ...more
- Genres (Video game): Action
Don't Starve Together
Road Not Taken
- Genres (Video game): Platform game
Moonlighter is an action-RPG indie game developed by Spanish indie studio Digital Sun and released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on May 29, 2018. Moonlighter has the ...more
- Genres (Video game): Action role-playing, business simulation
One More Dungeon