This list of the best scientist biopics contains numerous highly-lauded films. Winner of four academy awards, A Beautiful Mind stars Russell Crowe as brilliant but troubled economist John Nash. A Nobel laureate, Nash suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, and his condition impacts his work, as well as his personal relationships.
So what are the top scientist biopics? Hollywood seems to have a love affair with Stephen Hawking, the subject of several biopics on this list. Most recently, Hawking was portrayed by Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything, a role that garnered him his first Academy Award.
Other notable scientists found on this list of the greatest scientist biopics include Marie Curie, Galileo, and Louis Pasteur. Vote up the best scientist biopics below, and be sure to let us know what you think in the comment section.
- The Imitation Game is a 2014 historical thriller film directed by Morten Tyldum, with a screenplay by Graham Moore loosely based on the biography Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges. It stars ...more
The Man Who Knew Infinity is a biopic of S Ramanujan, the great mathematician, who had no formal training in mathematics still he made great contribution in mathematics like number theory, infinite series, continued fraction etc. He was also the member of royal society of cambridge university.
- Hidden Figures is a 2016 American biographical drama film directed by Theodore Melfi, based on the non-fiction book by Margot Lee Shetterly. The story of a team of female African-American ...more
- A human drama inspired by events in the life of John Forbes Nash Jr., and in part based on the biography "A Beautiful Mind" by Sylvia Nasar. From the heights of notoriety to the depths of depravity, ...more
- In the 1960s, Cambridge University student and future physicist Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) falls in love with fellow collegian Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones). At 21, Hawking learns that he has ...more
- The Secret of Nikola Tesla, is a 1980 Yugoslav biographical film which details events in the life of the discoverer Nikola Tesla. Tesla was born to ethnic Serb parents in 1856 Croatia. He arrived in ...more
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialHawking is a BBC television film about Stephen Hawking's early years as a PhD student at Cambridge University, following his search for the beginning of time, and his struggle against motor neuron ...more
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialAwakenings is a 1990 American drama film based on Oliver Sacks' 1973 memoir of the same title. It tells the true story of British neurologist Oliver Sacks, fictionalized as American Malcolm Sayer, ...more
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialTemple Grandin is a 2010 biopic directed by Mick Jackson and starring Claire Danes as Temple Grandin, a woman with autism who revolutionized practices for the humane handling of livestock on cattle ...more
- This film is an adaptation of wildlife expert Dian Fossey's autobiography. Midwesterner Fossey (Sigourney Weaver) leaves the United States for Africa, where she studies the gorillas of Rwanda and ...more
- Creation is a 2009 British biographical drama film. Produced by Jeremy Thomas, the film was directed by Jon Amiel, and stars Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly as Charles and Emma Darwin. The film is ...more
- Poor physics student Marie (Greer Garson) is studying at the Sorbonne in 1890s Paris. One of the few women studying in her field, Marie encounters skepticism concerning her abilities, but is ...more
- Tesla is a 2020 American biographical drama film directed by Michael Almereyda. A stylistic look at Nikola Tesla's (Ethan Hawke) life and relationship.
- Assigned to oversee the development of the atomic bomb, Gen. Leslie Groves (Paul Newman) is a stern military man determined to have the project go according to plan. Groves selects J. Robert ...more
- French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur (Paul Muni) is on a quest to cure the ailments of the 19th century. But he's thwarted at every turn by skeptical fellow scientists, chief among them ...more
- Richard Feynman (Matthew Broderick) is a talented young physics student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology when he meets Arline Greenbaum (Patricia Arquette). They quickly fall in love and ...more
- Biology professor Alfred Kinsey (Liam Neeson) has a perfectly respectable life teaching and doing research at Indiana University along with a happy home life with his wife (Laura Linney). When he ...more
- In the 4th century A.D., astronomer and philosopher Hypatia (Rachel Weisz) teaches her scientific beliefs to a class of male students. Among them is lovestruck slave Davus (Max Minghella), the ...more
- A staunch advocate of healthy living, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (Anthony Hopkins) opens a sanitarium that promotes his progressive, if eccentric, ideas about optimal well-being. Among the clients who ...more
- Galileo is a 1968 Italian-Bulgarian biographical drama film directed by Liliana Cavani. It depicts the life of Galileo Galilei and particularly his clash with the Catholic Church.
- Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialCopenhagen is a 2002 British television drama film written and directed by Howard Davies and starring Daniel Craig and Stephen Rea. It is based in Michael Frayn's 1998 Tony Award-winning play of the ...more
- Emmy Coer, a computer genius, devises a method of communicating with the past by tapping into undying information waves. She manages to reach the world of Ada Lovelace, founder of the idea of a ...more