It's such a great series, so let's rank every season of Law & Order from best to worst. In case you're not familiar with the iconic legal drama series, Law & Order is a 1-hour procedural crime show. During the first half of the show, it focuses on a group of NYPD detectives who investigate crimes. During the second half, it follows the process of the DA's office as it brings the criminal under investigation to justice. Throughout various seasons of Law & Order, you'll get a look at a huge variety of cases, the offenders who commit them, and the sometimes complex wheels of justice in motion.
If you've been a long term fan of Law & Order, then come on in and vote for your favorite seasons in order to help determine which ones are the best. If you're new to the world of Law & Order, then here you'll find a brief overview of each season as well as find out which seasons fans consider the best. If you're a seasoned veteran, you can find something fresh to watch over on our list of other great shows like Law & Order.
- 1177 VOTES
Law & Order - Season 5
The fifth season of Law & Order premiered on September 21, 1994 and contains 23 episodes. This season introduces the arrival of Executive ADA Jack McCoy and some of the cases involve the bombing of a construction site and the death of a drug-addicted woman in the yard of a daycare.
This season features several unforgettable episodes including: "House Counsel," "Rage," and "Second Opinion."
Memorable moments from Season 5 include:
- Van Buren faces heat when she kills an intellectually disabled teenager in what she claims was a robbery attempt.
- A suburban housewife is investigated for the 23-year-old murder of a police officer.
- The team discovers that the murder of an unassuming Parks Dept. worker may have been due to the fact that he was a juror in a trial against a mob boss.
- 2120 VOTES
Law & Order - Season 6
The sixth season of Law & Order premiered on September 20, 1995 and contains 23 episodes. This season introduces viewers to a new character named Detective Rey Curtis who replaces Detective Logan.
This season features several unforgettable episodes including: "Savages," "Pro Se," and "Aftershock."
Memorable moments from Season 6 include:
- A mother kills her daughter's kidnapper during his trial.
- The death penalty is instituted in New York.
- A defense lawyer argues that his teen client is actually the victim of a conspiracy.
- 3116 VOTES
Law & Order - Season 10
The tenth season of Law & Order premiered on September 22, 1999 and contains 24 episodes. This season finds Detective Ed Green replacing Detective Rey Curtis as Briscoe's partner.
This season features several unforgettable episodes including: "Killerz," "Blood Money," and "Fools For Love."
Memorable moments from Season 10 include:
- After a young boy is murdered, suspicions fall on a 10-year-old girl from his neighborhood.
- A man insists that he was set up in both the murder of his girlfriend and the assault of her sister.
- The DA's office must question whether a man with Alzheimer's Disease is competent enough to stand trial for murder.
- 486 VOTES
Law & Order - Season 9
The ninth season of Law & Order premiered on September 23, 1998 and contains 24 episodes. This season, Angie Harmon joins the cast as ADA Abbie Carmichael who replaces Jamie Ross. Some of this season's cases involve the death of a fertility clinic worker and the murder of an officer at a women's prison.
This season features several unforgettable episodes including: "Tabula Rasa," "Refugee: Part 1," and "Refugee: Part 2."
Memorable moments from Season 9 include:
- White police officers are investigated in the possible death of an African American man.
- The only witness in a murder by the Russian mob is a 10-year-old boy who is afraid to testify.
- McCoy feels forced to defy Schiff in the course of prosecuting a trial.