The Best Short Story Writers of All Time
List of the best short story writers of all time. From Voltaire to George Saunders, a complete list of the greatest short story authors who have written works in English or whose works have been translated into English. Usually, short fiction features a small cast of characters and is focused on one incident or anecdote and one overall mood, such as romance, humor, or sadness. Complex stories with sweeping timelines and superfluous characters are not often written in the short story medium, because there is simply not enough time to develop more than one or two cohesive thoughts. The best short story writers think that writing short-fiction is a completely separate art form than writing a novel, but some would argue that writing short stories is great practice for writing a full length work of fiction.
Because of the constraints of page length, great short story writers have to use language that is descriptive and quickly sets the scene or develops their characters. Hemingway is notoriously good at short, pithy stories. One of his most famous is the world's shortest short story: “For Sale, Baby Shoes, Never Worn.” Very short stories are also known as flash-fiction.Like Hemingway, the best short story authors can paint a picture with their words in a short amount of time. If you like books but don't have time to read novels, reading short stories could be a great option for you. Many of the best novelists of all time have also written good short stories. Often, this type of fiction is sold in short story collections or anthologies. Use this list to discover new authors of short-fiction and vote on your favorites.
- Taganrog, RussiaThe Lady with the Dog, The Bet, The Darling, Vanka, The Death of a Clerk, The Duel, A Boring Story
- Buenos Aires, ArgentinaThe Library of Babel, The Other, The Circular Ruins, The Garden of Forking Paths
- Boston, MassachusettsThe Tell-Tale Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Black Cat
- Oak Park, Illinois, United States of AmericaThe Snows of Kilimanjaro, The Capital of the World, Indian Camp, The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
- Prague, Czech RepublicThe Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, Description of a Struggle, The Village Schoolmaster
- Savannah, GeorgiaA Good Man Is Hard to Find, Everything That Rises Must Converge, The Geranium, The River