The turn of the 21st century was memorable in many ways but the best '00s TV shows have had a truly lasting impact. This list of the best TV shows from the 2000s ranks the decade's shows from best to worst based on your votes and votes from other television fans. Television has been steadily evolving over the past few decades. What used to be simply an entertaining way to spend a half hour with the family has transformed into an elevated art form. Movies have been usurped by the television medium due to a continued rise in content quality. Starting in the 2000s, when cable networks like HBO and Showtime were introduced, the focus moved to quality in writing, directing, and acting more than ever before. People in the entertainment business who used to focus on movies began to move into television.
In the '00s, there were more quality television shows on the air than ever before. Cable networks introduced shows like Six Feet Under, Dexter, and The Sopranos that revolutionized the way television was made. Other shows, like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and Supernatural, changed the way people watched television, by including fan involvement and discussion as part of the experience. Comedies like Arrested Development and The Office and reality shows like American Idol also reigned supreme in the television universe.
What are your favorite 2000s TV shows? Which top series from the 2000s deserve to be remembered for years to come? This list includes the highest-rated and most talked-about shows that aired in the '00s, so vote up the best shows of the decade.
- A close-knit group of young, eclectic friends approaches adulthood.
- Workers plod along at Dunder Mifflin's paper-supply company.
- A high-school chemistry teacher has a midlife crisis.
- Scooby-Doo is an American animated cartoon franchise, comprising several animated television series produced from 1969 to the present day. The original series, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, was created ...more
- Six friends living in New York hang out at a coffee bar.
- Homer and Marge Simpson raise Bart, Lisa and baby Maggie in Springfield.
- A midlevel bureaucrat works tirelessly toward improving her hometown.
- The adventures of four boys who live in South Park, Colo.
- A child genius deals with his siblings and eccentric parents.
- A free-spirited beauty moves in next door to two physicists.
- A square yellow sponge lives in the underwater city of Bikini Bottom.
- A doctor works at a hospital with unpredictable staffers and patients.
- Through a series of flashbacks, Ted tells his kids how he met their mother.
- An elite squad of FBI profilers analyzes the country's most-twisted criminal minds.
- The adventures of an eccentric family living in New England.
- Two brothers battle evil forces.
- Tony Soprano tries to be a good family man and run the New Jersey mob.
- A forensics analyst moonlights as a serial killer.
- A bored mystery writer helps police solve crimes.
- A diverse clan bridges cultural and generational gaps.
- A woman endeavors to raise a daughter on her own.
- FBI special agents probe cases involving phenomena that defy conventional explanations.
- A high-school teen saves the world from evil in her spare time.
- A teenager with special powers strives for a normal life.
- Buffy Summers battles evil in the suburbs.