Some episodes of a TV show are so good, they stand alone and may even raise the bar for a genre. Some of the best TV episodes of all time are even better than the series as a whole. Certain episodes may even transcend the life of a television series, shared again and again among fans.
We’ve taken a cross section of the best stand alone episodes in television history and they are here on this list of the greatest single episodes of any TV show, awaiting your votes! TV has exploded over the years, to become a serious medium of a quality on par with film. That said, old TV shows have some of their top single episodes listed here as well, and many of the best TV comedies have multiple entries. This list features a solid representation of all genres and time periods, so long as the episodes are truly exceptional in their own right, regardless of the quality of the rest of the series.
Remember Prison Mike from that episode The Office? Or basically any episode of Breaking Bad (though "Ozymandias and "Dead Freight" certainly stand out)? From Arrested Development's edgy comedy to Seinfeld's iconic episodes to All in the Family's landmark moments in television history, this list runs the gamut may even introduce you to some new shows whose best episodes will have you binge watching the entire series (Friday Night Lights and Adventure Time, anyone?).
You may have your own favorite TV episode that you think stands head and shoulders above the rest of the series and are encouraged to add it to this list. Good TV is good TV and everyone should know about it. With so much top TV programming these days, it can be hard to know where to start, but the best single episodes on television listed here are a great place to start. From the best episode of Friends and the best episode of Seinfeld or even Game of Thrones, they're all here, waiting to rise to the top based on your votes.After you've voted and reranked, let us know in the comments section how many of these famous, groundbreaking, memorable, and iconic TV episodes you've seen!
"Ozymandias" - Breaking Bad
"Battle of the Bastards" - Game of ThronesJune 19, 2016
- 2,4941,097A showdown with Gus occurs. Walt finds an unexpected ally through Saul's help.... more
"The Rains of Castamere" - Game of ThronesJun 02 2013"The Rains of Castamere" is the ninth episode of the third season of HBO's fantasy television... more
"Stress Relief" - The OfficeFeb 01 2009"Stress Relief" is a two-part episode of the American comedy television series The Office.... more
- 1,811944Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their... more
- 1,228627"Jurassic Bark" is the seventh episode of the fourth season of the television series Futurama,... more
- 1,677877Hawkeye is sent to a mental hospital; a freak accident causes Father Mulcahy to lose his... more
- 1,314679Walt's team gets creative to obtain the methylamine they need to continue their operation.... more
"Blink" - Doctor Who
- 1,617853"Days Gone Bye" is the first episode of the post-apocalyptic horror television series The... more
- 936474"Mr. Plow" is the ninth episode of The Simpsons' fourth season, which originally aired on the... more
"Blackwater" - Game of ThronesMay 27 2012Tyrion and the Lannisters fight for their lives as Stannis’ fleet assaults King’s Landing.... more
- 1,582847"Make Love, Not Warcraft" is the eighth episode of the tenth season of the animated television... more
"The Watchers on the Wall" - Game of Thrones
"House's Head" - House M.D.May 12 2008A bus accident leaves House with serious head trauma and partial amnesia. He comes to believe... more
- 1,8941,044"The Soup Nazi" is the 116th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld, which was the sixth episode... more
- 1,269686In a delirious state after Serenity's engine explodes, draining the ship of its oxygen supply,... more
- 1,130611A mysterious force causes everyone in Sunnydale to reveal all of their innermost thoughts and... more
- 1,105600Kirk must defuse a Klingon scheme to destroy a grain shipment...and cope with a seemingly... more
- 1,013546Feeling left out because he doesn't have anything to do, Mr. Carlson suddenly decides to take... more
- 983529"The Best of Both Worlds" is a two-part storyline from the syndicated American science fiction... more
- 874465Easy Company experiences the Battle of the Bulge and have to hold ground near Bastogne while... more
- 365165Mr. Wilson believes he sees a gremlin on the wing of his commercial aircraft.... more
- 1,472828"The Contest" is the 51st episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld. The 11th episode of the fourth... more