Here are the best artists and bands from South Dakota. South Dakota has many attractions that draw people from all over the United States. Mount Rushmore, which bears the likeness of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and Theodore Roosevelt, is a massive monument to the men who helped build America. It serves to represent where the country has been, where it is now, and where it should go in the future. It is a good old-fashioned piece of classic Americana, much like the music that has come out of the state over the years.
Many of the most famous musical artists from South Dakota play in the country and folk genres. However, indie rock is also popular in the region. There are plenty of venues in the area for singers and bands to perform in. The state is also home to a number of music festivals. Each year, the city of Sioux Falls hosts a Jazz and Blues Festival. Additionally, the state has had the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally every summer since 1982 where plenty of classic rockers have performed. Other popular South Dakota artists include Paradise Fears, The Kickback, Bob Stewart, and The Spill Canvas.
Check out this list of South Dakota musical artists. You may just come across some acts you listen to all the time. You may also find some awesome new artists to listen to for the first time.
Albums: Sunsets & Car Crashes, One Fell Swoop, No Really, I'm Fine, Denial Feels So GoodThe Spill Canvas is an American alternative acoustic band from Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Albums: Steady On, A Few Small Repairs, Whole New You, Holiday Songs and Lullabies, These Four WallsShawn Colvin (born January 10, 1956) is an American singer-songwriter and musician. While... more on Wikipedia
Albums: Things We Do, Indigenous, Circle, Vanishing Americans, The Acoustic SessionsIndigenous is an American blues rock group that came to prominence in the late 1990s. The band... more on Wikipedia
Blacklite DistrictNu metal, Dubstep
Albums: With Me NowBlacklite District is an electronic hard rock band hailing from Spearfish, South Dakota,... more on Wikipedia
- 5Earth Groans is a hardcore punk band that formed in May 2015. The band is from South Dakota.... more on Wikipedia111
- 6Brulé & AIRO is a contemporary Native American New Age/Worldbeat music group based in South... more on Wikipedia112
BruléPop music, Rock music
- 7Jerry Burke (July 26, 1911 – February 13, 1965) was a musician who played the organ and piano... more on Wikipedia112
Albums: Then & Now, Bluebells, First Line, Connections: Mind the GapBob Stewart (born February 3, 1945 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota), is an American jazz tuba... more on Wikipedia
Kid DakotaIndie rock
Albums: The West is the Future, So Pretty, Listen to the Crows as They Take Flight, A Winner's ShadowKid Dakota is the musical moniker of Darren Jackson. He started performing as "Kid Dakota and... more on Wikipedia
- 10Paradise Fears are an American alternative, pop-rock band from Vermillion, South Dakota. On... more on Wikipedia102
- 11Judd Hoos is an American rock band based in Sturgis, South Dakota. The band's line up consists... more on Wikipedia102
- 12The Kickback is an American indie rock band from Vermillion, South Dakota formed in 2006. The... more on Wikipedia114
The KickbackIndie rock
Albums: GirlsWe All Have Hooks for Hands is a folk pop group from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, U.S.A. In... more on Wikipedia
Sam OutlawCountry, Honky tonk
Albums: Angeleno, TenderheartSam Morgan (born July 28, 1982), professionally known as Sam Outlaw, is a country music... more on Wikipedia
- 15Scatter Their Own is a Rock duo (formed in 2012) made of Scotti Clifford (Guitarist and... more on Wikipedia94
Albums: Minnesota Remembers Vic Chesnutt, The Size of Planets, Haley Bryn Bonar, Lure the Fox, Big StarHaley McCallum (born 1983), professionally known as Haley and formerly Haley Bonar, is a... more on Wikipedia
Albums: John Cacavas: Hits of the Sixties, From London With Love: The Music of James Bond (London Symphony Orchestra), John Cacavas and the Palm Court Society Orchestra, Behind The Scenes, Airport 1975John Harry Cacavas (August 13, 1930 – January 28, 2014) was an American composer and conductor... more on Wikipedia
- 18Jonathan May (October 9, 1958 – February 27, 2010) was an American cellist and conductor. He... more on Wikipedia
- 19Jess Thomas (August 4, 1927 – October 11, 1993) was an American operatic tenor, best known for... more on Wikipedia
- 20Ronald Holgate (born May 26, 1937, Aberdeen, South Dakota) is an American actor and opera... more on Wikipedia
- 22Erika Michelle Anderson, (born April 2, 1982) better known by her stage name EMA, is an... more on Wikipedia51
- 23Thomas Dunn (December 21, 1925 – October 26, 2008) was an American musician and music editor... more on Wikipedia
- 24Dorothy Michelle Provine (January 20, 1935 – April 25, 2010) was an American singer, dancer,... more on Wikipedia
- 25Floyd Westerman, also known as Kanghi Duta i.e. "Red Crow" in Dakota (August 17, 1936 –... more on Wikipedia