The best space western shows can range from very western with some sci-fi elements to mostly science fiction with some classic western themes. This flexibility is what makes it such a fun sub-genre. Great space westerns also tend to include space pirates - which are a more dashing option to fill the space bandit roles.
From a quick-draw raygun hombre to robot horses, good space western series take some of the most interesting things about their respective genres and blend to create something new. The Star Trek series are space westerns that examine the new frontiers of galaxies, as are the Star Wars series, though none are as overt about their Western genre influence as the new Disney+ show, The Mandalorian. Many anime series also blend Westerns with sci-fi elements. One of the most popular space westerns is the cult series Firefly, which may only have had one series but is considered one of the best space western shows by many.
Popular space western TV shows have been a staple of television for years, but even so there's often debate about what the most entertaining space western show of all time is and if that show truly qualifies as a "space western". Don't let your favorite space westerns get to the bottom of the list, vote them up so they have the chance to mosey on up to the top spot.
- 1231 VOTESThe crew of a small transport ship experience a cosmic civil war.
- Actors: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Sean Maher, Adam Baldwin
- Premiered: September 20, 2002
- 2163 VOTESAfter the fall of the Galactic Empire, a lone gunfighter makes his way through the lawless galaxy.
- Actors: Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, Omid Abtahi
- Premiered: November 12, 2019
- 3158 VOTESBounty hunters search for criminals.
- Actors: Steve Blum, John Billingslea, Wendee Lee, Melissa Fahn
- Premiered: October 23, 1998
- 498 VOTESThe crew of the starship USS Enterprise boldly explores outer space in the 23rd century.
- Actors: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols
- Premiered: September 8, 1966