The best space western shows can range from very western with some sci-fi elements to mostly science fiction with some classic western themes. This flexibility is what makes it such a fun sub-genre. Great space westerns also tend to include space pirates - which are a more dashing option to fill the space bandit roles.
From a quick-draw raygun hombre to robot horses, good space western series take some of the most interesting things about their respective genres and blend to create something new. The Star Trek series are space westerns that examine the new frontiers of galaxies, as are the Star Wars series, though none are as overt about their Western genre influence as the new Disney+ show, The Mandalorian. Many anime series also blend Westerns with sci-fi elements. One of the most popular space westerns is the cult series Firefly, which may only have had one series but is considered one of the best space western shows by many.
Popular space western TV shows have been a staple of television for years, but even so there's often debate about what the most entertaining space western show of all time is and if that show truly qualifies as a "space western". Don't let your favorite space westerns get to the bottom of the list, vote them up so they have the chance to mosey on up to the top spot.
- Firefly is an American space western science fiction drama television series created by writer and director Joss Whedon, under his Mutant Enemy Productions label. Whedon served as an executive producer, along with Tim Minear. The series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things". The show explores the lives of a group of people who fought on the losing side of a civil... more on Wikipedia
16826Can this show get a yeehaw?
- Actors: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk
- Premiered: 2002
- The Mandalorian (Disney+, 2019) is an American space opera web television series set in the Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Taking place after the events in Return of the Jedi, but before The Force Awakens, the show follows a lone Mandalorian gunfighter (Pedro Pascal) beyond the reaches of the Republic.... more on Wikipedia
10718Can this show get a yeehaw?
- Actors: Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, Nick Nolte, Giancarlo Esposito, Emily Swallow
- Premiered: 2019
- Cowboy Bebop (Sunrise, 1998) is a Japanese sci-fi anime series. Set in the year 2071, it follow the adventures and tragedies of a bounty hunter crew traveling in their spaceship called the Bebop.... more on Wikipedia
11628Can this show get a yeehaw?
- Actors: Kôichi Yamadera, Unshô Ishizuka, Megumi Hayashibara
- Premiered: 1998
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Disney XD, 2015) is an American animated television series developed by Marty Isenberg, based on the Marvel Comics superhero team. The adventures of a band of space warriors who work to protect the universe from the evil overlord Thanos.... more on Wikipedia
4718Can this show get a yeehaw?
- Actors: Will Friedle, Trevor Devall, Vanessa Marshall, Kevin Michael Richardson, David Sobolov
- Premiered: 2015