The most engaging subculture reality shows not only open a window to a world you might not have realized existed but can help offer new perspectives while still delivering that reality drama. The familiar and the new mix together for captivating docusoap stories. From people who have to navigate the world differently due to disability to families living in areas most folks forget exist, subculture reality shows can remind the audience that there's more to the world than you realise.
One of the most well-known and longest-running subculture reality series is Little People, Big World. The Roloff family not only runs a farm in Oregon, but several members of the family have dwarfism and episodes follow the frustrations and rewards of all aspects of their life. Swamp People and Duck Dynasty both look at rural life that can be stranger than city folks imagine and there are also several subculture shows that give outsiders a look into isolated religious cultures like the Amish.
Vote up the best subculture reality shows that showed you something new and interesting!
- Little People, Big World is an American reality television series that premiered on March 4, 2006, and airs on TLC. The series chronicles the lives of the six-member Roloff family farm near Portland, Oregon. Many of the episodes focus on the parents, Matt and Amy, and one of their sons, Zach, who are diagnosed with dwarfism. On August 26, 2010, TLC announced that the sixth season would be the last for the show. After its final season, TLC aired several specials: Conquering Mount St. Helens, Breaking Down the Walls, and Welcome to the Jungle. On October 5, 2012, TLC announced a spin-off series – Little People Big World: Wedding Farm. It chronicles Matt and Amy as they jump-start their... more
- Actors: Matthew Roloff, Amy Roloff
- Premiered: January 7, 2006
- Sister Wives (TLC, 2010) is an American reality television series. It documents the life of a polygamist family, which includes patriarch Kody Brown, his four wives, and their 18 children.... more
- Actors: Kody Brown, Meri Brown, Janelle Brown, Christine Brown, Robyn Sullivan
- Premiered: September 26, 2010
- Photo: A&EDuck Dynasty (A&E, 2012) is an American reality television series. It portrays the lives of the Robertson family, who became wealthy from their family-operated business, Duck Commander.... more
- Actors: Phil Robertson, Si Robertson
- Premiered: March 21, 2012
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo (TLC, 2012) is an American reality television series. It features the family of child beauty pageant contestant Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson.... more
- Actors: Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson, Jessica "Chubbs" Shannon, Anna "Chickadee" Cardwell, June "Mama June" Shannon, Lauryn "Pumpkin" Shannon
- Premiered: 2012