We're ranking the best Sufjan Stevens albums of all time. One of the best indie folk artists ever, Sufjan Stevens' discography features several popular songs, such as "Should Have Known Better" and "Mystery of Love." What is the greatest Sufjan Stevens album ever?
From his debut album A Sun Came to his 2017 LP Planetarium, to his latest full-length collaboration with Angelo De Augustine, A Beginner's Mind, this list of Sufjan Stevens studio albums includes everything, even Illinois, The Age of Adz, and Carrie & Lowell.
Vote up the best Sufjan Stevens albums, and vote down the ones that were disappointing.
- Photo: Asthmatic Kitty1102 VOTES
Carrie & Lowell
1. Death with Dignity
2. Should Have Known Better
3. All of Me Wants All of You
4. Drawn to the Blood
6. Fourth of July
7. The Only Thing
8. Carrie & Lowell
9. John My Beloved
10. No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross
11. Blue Bucket of Gold
Pitchfork score: 9.3/10
- Release Date: 2015
- 2110 VOTES
1. Concerning the UFO Sighting near Highland, Illinois
2. The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!'
3. Come On! Feel the Illinoise! (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)
4. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
6. A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, but for Very Good Reasons
7. Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother!
8. One Last 'Whoo-Hoo!' for the Pullman!!
9. Go! Chicago! Go! Yeah!
10. Casimir Pulaski Day
11. To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament
12. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
13. Prairie Fire That Wanders About (Peoria)
14. A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
15. The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
16. They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!
17. Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
18. In This Temple as in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth
19. The Seer's Tower
20. The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now)
21. Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
22. Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run
Pitchfork score: 9.2/10
- Release Date: 2005
- 338 VOTES
1. All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands
2. The Dress Looks Nice on You
3. In the Devil's Territory
4. To Be Alone with You
7. Size Too Small
8. We Won't Need Legs to Stand
9. A Good Man Is Hard to Find
10. He Woke Me Up Again
11. Seven Swans
12. The Transfiguration
Pitchfork score: 8.1/10
- Release Date: 2004
- 441 VOTES
1. Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)
2. All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!
3. For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
4. Say Yes! to M!ch!gan!
5. The Upper Peninsula
6. Tahquamenon Falls
8. Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)
10. Alanson, Crooked River
11. Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie
12. They Also Mourn Who Do Not Wear Black (For the Homeless in Muskegon)
13. Oh God, Where Are You Now? (In Pickerel Lake? Pigeon? Marquette? Mackinaw?)
14. Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
15. Vito's Ordination Song
Pitchfork score: 8.5/10
- Release Date: 2003