Among our favorite genres are sub-genres that sometimes feel like they were designed specifically for us. In the case of thrillers, it's the spine-tinglingly spooky supernatural thriller that is currently lighting up the TV landscape and filling it with Demogorgons, exorcists, mysteries, and storylines that manage to be undead, yet pulse-racing. And we couldn't be happier.
These supernatural thriller TV shows are all at once risk-taking, innovative, and deserving of a week-long binge watch with no break. While some of television's best supernatural thrillers - we're looking at you Twilight Zone - have been around since the beginning of television, the revitalization of the genre that started with shows like Fringe and Supernatural have carried over into the DNA of the best shows still on the air. With their rich mythology, flawed characters, and endless cliffhangers, it's safe to say we can't get enough supernatural thrillers on television.
With the sub-genre going stronger than ever on the small screen, there's no better time to turn off all the lights, question whether or not your best friend is a vampire, recite some Latin spells from a dusty old book, and rank the best supernatural thriller series on TV.
- Hellbound (Netflix, 2021) is a South Korean crime fantasy drama created by Yeon Sang-ho and Choi Gyu-seok based on a comic of the same name. Set in a fictional Earth where supernatural beings drag ...more
- Two brothers battle evil forces.
- Mysteries unravel in a small Midwestern town involving supernatural forces.
- Host Rod Serling introduces stories of fantasy and suspense.
- FBI special agents probe cases involving phenomena that defy conventional explanations.
- Buffy Summers battles evil in the suburbs.
- A family of three moves from Boston to Los Angeles to reconcile its painful past.
- An FBI agent, a brilliant scientist and his estranged son investigate unexplained phenomena.
- Two government agents search the country for supernatural objects.
- Nick, a warrior known as a Grimm, protects Portland from dangerous creatures known as Wesen.
- A series of stories based on the EC horror comics of the 1950s.
- Some of literature's most famously terrifying characters become embroiled in Victorian London.
- Jordan Peele hosts and narrates tales of science fiction, fantasy and the occult.
- The original fallen angel retires to Los Angeles, where he meets an intriguing homicide detective.
- Ichabod Crane is resurrected and transported 250 years into the future to solve a mystery.
- Vampires walk the Earth using synthetic blood.
- An FBI agent investigates murders in a Pacific Northwest town.
- A vampire with a conscience saves lost souls in Los Angeles.
- People face powerful demonic forces in this reincarnation of the classic horror film.
- Survivors of a plane crash struggle for survival on a desert island.
- The disappearance of two young children exposes the fractured relationships among four families.
- An ex-convict becomes the bodyguard of a powerful old deity looking to reclaim his lost glory.
- Sabrina must choose between her family's witch world and her friends' human world.
- A team investigates a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an evil strain of vampirism.
- An FBI agent with a lost past arrives in the small town of Haven to solve the murder of an ex-con.