Here are the best country artists and bands from Texas. Country music has been an important part of Texas' heritage. In fact, the genre is so popular in the state, a new form of country music emerged. Texas Country is a subgenre that fuses traditional root sounds with the styling of outlaw country. The music can best be described as having a working man's approach with witty undertones. Some of the most notable artists who are part of the Texas Country movement include Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Chris Knight. With that being said, there are plenty of country singers from Texas who fuse all kinds of influences into their songs.
Roy Orbison is one of the most famous musicians to come out of the Lone Star State of all time. He is best known for his hits, including "Pretty Woman" and "Only the Lonely." A more modern artist who has put country music in Texas on the map is Kacey Musgraves. She carved a niche for herself in the industry for her straight-shooting lyrics and rebellious nature. Some popular country groups from Texas include Eli Young Band, Josh Abbott Band, and The Great Divide.
This list of Texas country singers is the most complete you will find. You will find artists from various decades, so no matter how old you are, you will find an artist you appreciate here. Vote for your favorites.
- George Harvey Strait Sr. (born May 18, 1952) is an American country music singer, songwriter, actor, and music producer. George Strait is known as the "King of Country" and is considered one of the ...more
- Willie Hugh Nelson (born April 29, 1933) is an American singer, songwriter, musician, actor, producer, author, poet, and activist. The critical success of the album Shotgun Willie (1973), combined ...more
- Waylon Arnold Jennings (pronounced ; June 15, 1937 – February 13, 2002) was an American singer, songwriter, and musician. In 1958, Buddy Holly arranged Jennings's first recording session, and hired ...more
- George Glenn Jones (September 12, 1931 – April 26, 2013) was an American musician, singer and songwriter. He achieved international fame for his long list of hit records, including his best known ...more
- Kenneth Ray Rogers (August 21, 1938 – March 20, 2020) was a retired American singer, songwriter, actor, record producer, and entrepreneur. He was a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame.Though he ...more
- Kristoffer Kristofferson (born June 22, 1936) is an American singer-songwriter and actor. Among his songwriting credits are the songs "Me and Bobby McGee", "For the Good Times", "Sunday Mornin' ...more
- Donald Ray Williams (May 27, 1939 – September 8, 2017) was an American country singer, songwriter, and 2010 inductee to the Country Music Hall of Fame. He began his solo career in 1971, singing ...more
- Ronnie Gene Dunn (born June 1, 1953) is an American country music singer-songwriter and record executive. In 2011, Dunn began working as a solo artist following the breakup of Brooks & Dunn. He ...more
- Robert Earl Keen (born January 11, 1956) is an American singer-songwriter and entertainer. Debuting with 1984's No Kinda Dancer, the Houston native has recorded 18 full-length albums for both ...more
- Tanya Denise Tucker (born October 10, 1958) is an American country music artist who had her first hit, "Delta Dawn", in 1972 at the age of 13. Over the succeeding decades, Tucker became one of the ...more
- Clint Patrick Black (born February 4, 1962) is an American country music singer, songwriter, musician, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and actor. Signed to RCA Records in 1989, Black's debut ...more
- Roy Kelton Orbison (April 23, 1936 – December 6, 1988) was an American singer, songwriter, and musician known for his impassioned singing style, complex song structures, and dark, emotional ballads. ...more
- Stephen Fain Earle () (born January 17, 1955) is an American rock, country and folk singer-songwriter, record producer, author and actor. Earle began his career as a songwriter in Nashville and ...more
- Patrick Craven Green (born April 5, 1972, in San Antonio, Texas) is an American Texas Country artist. Active since 1995, he has recorded a total of seven studio albums, including several independent ...more
- Randy Rogers Band is a country music group from the state of Texas. The band is composed of Randy Rogers (lead vocals), Geoffrey Hill (guitar), Jon Richardson (bass guitar), Brady Black (fiddle), Les ...more
- Cody Johnson (born May 21, 1987 in Sebastopol, Texas) is an American Texas country singer-songwriter. He has self-released six albums; the sixth album Gotta Be Me debuted at number two on Billboard's ...more
- Miranda Leigh Lambert (born November 10, 1983) is an American country music singer and songwriter. In 2003, she finished in third place of the television program Nashville Star, a singing competition ...more
- Noble Ray Price (January 12, 1926 – December 16, 2013) was an American country music singer, songwriter, and guitarist. His wide-ranging baritone is regarded as among the best male voices of country ...more
- Ernest Clayton Walker Jr. (born August 19, 1969) is an American country music artist. He made his debut in 1993 with the single "What's It to You", which reached Number One on the Billboard Hot ...more
- James Aaron Watson (born August 20, 1977) is an American country music singer and songwriter. Active since 1999, Watson has recorded several independent albums in his career. His 2015 album The ...more
- Guy Charles Clark (November 6, 1941 – May 17, 2016) was an American folk singer, musician, songwriter, recording artist, and performer. He released more than twenty albums, and his songs have been ...more
- Billy Joe Shaver (born August 16, 1939) is a Texas country music singer and songwriter. Shaver's 1973 album Old Five and Dimers Like Me is a classic in the outlaw country genre.
- William Orville "Lefty" Frizzell (March 31, 1928 – July 19, 1975), was an American country music singer-songwriter and honky-tonk singer. He gained prominence in 1950 after two major hits, and ...more
- Lyle Pearce Lovett (born November 1, 1957) is an American singer, songwriter, actor and record producer. Active since 1980, he has recorded 13 albums and released 25 singles to date, including his ...more
- Mark Nelson Chesnutt (born September 6, 1963) is an American country music singer and songwriter. Between 1990 and 1999, he had his greatest chart success recording for Universal Music Group ...more