Here is a list of the best transgender movies ever made, ranked by movie fans with film trailers when available. This transgender movie list is ordered by popularity, so only the greatest movies about transgender are at the top of the list. If there are any great movies about transgender you believe we missed, please feel free to add them to the list yourself. The films on this list are the most famous transgender and transsexual movies of all time, so use it to find some movies that you haven't seen already. Click on these transgender movie titles for more information about the films.
This list answers the questions, "What are the best transgender movies?" and "What is the greatest transgender movie of all time?"
Various bits of information are included with these popular transgender movies, such as who directed them, when they were released and who starred in the films. Whether you're watching these transgender movies on DVD, Blu-ray or streaming, these good transgender movies can be enjoyed no matter what.
- Boy Meets Girl is a 2014 romantic comedy film written and directed by Eric Schaeffer.
- In 1997, new Army recruit Barry Winchell (Troy Garity) is assigned to a base in Tennessee. He quickly befriends the quick-tempered Justin Fisher (Shawn Hatosy), who struggles with drug problems. One ...more
- Young female-to-male transgender Brandon Teena (Hilary Swank) leaves his hometown under threat when his ex-girlfriend's brother discovers that he's biologically female. Resettling in the small town ...more
- A transgender singer faces scorn and discrimination after the sudden death of her older boyfriend.
- Irish Republican Army member Fergus (Stephen Rea) forms an unexpected bond with Jody (Forest Whitaker), a kidnapped British soldier in his custody, despite the warnings of fellow IRA members Jude ...more
- Right in the midst of important changes in her life, Bree Osborne (Felicity Huffman) learns that she fathered a son, Toby (Kevin Zegers), 17 years ago. Bailing him out of jail in New York, Bree poses ...more
- When drag queen Anthony (Hugo Weaving) agrees to take his act on the road, he invites fellow cross-dresser Adam (Guy Pearce) and transsexual Bernadette (Terence Stamp) to come along. In their ...more
- Teenage Alike (Adepero Oduye) lives in Brooklyn's Fort Greene neighborhood with her parents (Charles Parnell, Kim Wayans) and younger sister (Sahra Mellesse). A lesbian, Alike quietly embraces her ...more
- After hearing that her boyfriend/pimp cheated on her while she was in jail, a transgender sex worker and her best friend set out to find him and teach him and his new lover a lesson.
- Kim Foyle (Steven Mackintosh) is a postoperative transvestite who values her well-structured lifestyle. That routine, however, is disturbed when a car accident reintroduces Kim to Paul Prentice ...more
- Funeral Parade of Roses is a 1969 Japanese drama film directed by Toshio Matsumoto. It is a loose adaptation of Oedipus Rex set in the underground gay counterculture of 1960s Tokyo. The film was ...more
- A German emigrant living in a trailer in Kansas is the victim of a botched sex-change operation. Adapted from the critically acclaimed off-Broadway rock theater hit, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" tells ...more
- A Greek saying states that only women who have washed their eyes with tears can see clearly. This saying does not hold true for Manuela. The night a car ran over her son Esteban, Manuela cried until ...more
- A 10-year-old girl (Zoé Héran) moves into a new neighborhood and decides to dress like a boy.
- As a baby, Patrick (Cillian Murphy) is left by his mother on the steps of the rectory in their small Irish town. He's discovered by Father Liam (Liam Neeson), coincidentally his real father, and ...more
- Elite Manhattan drag queens Vida Boheme (Patrick Swayze) and Noxeema Jackson (Wesley Snipes) impress regional judges in competition, securing berths in the Nationals in Los Angeles. When the two meet ...more
- Ma vie en rose is a 1997 Belgian drama film directed by Alain Berliner. It tells the story of Ludovic, a child who is seen by family and community as a boy, but consistently communicates being a ...more
- Romeos is a 2011 German feature film. The film was written and directed by Sabine Bernardi. It was released on December 8, 2011. Prior to its release, the film's screenplay won the Best Treatment ...more
- In 1600, nobleman Orlando (Tilda Swinton) inherits his parents' house, thanks to Queen Elizabeth I (Quentin Crisp), who commands the young man to never change. After a disastrous affair with Russian ...more
- The Christine Jorgensen Story is a 1970 fictionalized biographical movie about trans woman Christine Jorgensen. While the overall premise of the film is accurate, many of the details are ...more
- Girl is a 2018 drama film directed by Lukas Dhont. A trans girl who pursues a career as a ballerina faces challenges from everyone she encounters.
- Beautiful Boxer is a Thai biographical sports film by Singapore-based director Ekachai Uekrongtham. It tells the life story of Nong Thoom, a famous kathoey, Muay Thai fighter, actress and model. She ...more
- After a 25-year marriage to Irma (Jessica Lange), Roy Applewood (Tom Wilkinson) shocks his family when he reveals that he has a gender identity disorder. The Applewood family is further thrown into ...more
- Kate Davis's award-winning documentary chronicles the final four seasons in the life of Robert Eads, a female-to-male transsexual dying of ovarian cancer in rural Georgia. Striking a balance between ...more
- Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde is a 1971 British film directed by Roy Ward Baker based on the novella Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. The film was made by British studio ...more