The best, and most haunting, true crime documentaries on television stay in your mind long past the last episode. As miniseries, true crime docuseries use their longer run time to dive more deeply into the details of the tragic events than a single documentary film can.
Standing out from true crime reality and docu-reality series, the best true crime TV documentary miniseries are limited not just in the number of episodes but scope. These miniseries focus on one incident, one criminal, one newsmaking event. Lorena, The Jinx, and Don't F**k With Cats are all limited series that lay out the facts and details around their subjects. From scams in McMillions to archival interviews with serial killers in Helter Skelter: An American Myth and The Ted Bundy Tapes, there are great true crime docuseries for every true crime fan.
Vote up the true crime documentary miniseries that make the best use of their format.
- Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix, 2019) is an American four-part documentary television series created by Joe Berlinger. The series examines Ted Bundy's character and mind through archival footage, audio recordings, and present-day interviews with him while he is on death row.... more
5210Truly good crime miniseries?
- Actors: Stephen Michaud
- Premiered: January 24, 2019
- Photo: I'll Be Gone in the DarkI'll Be Gone in the Dark (HBO, 2020) is a true crime docudrama television series directed by Liz Garbus based on the book by the same name by Michelle McNamara. Gripping examination of the unsolved crimes of the Golden State Killer who terrorized California in the 1970's and 1980's.... more
4510Truly good crime miniseries?
- Premiered: March 5, 2018
- Photo: Lorena / AmazonLorena (Amazon Video, 2019) is an American documentary television series. The limited series examines the 1993 assault and subsequent court case involving John and Lorena Bobbitt through the lens of domestic abuse and sexual assault.... more
4512Truly good crime miniseries?
- Actors: Lorena Bobbitt, John Wayne Bobbitt, David Berman
- Premiered: 2019
- The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (HBO, 2015) is a documentary miniseries directed by Andrew Jarecki. Exploring the complicated life of reclusive real estate icon Robert Durst, the key suspect in a series of unsolved crimes.... more
378Truly good crime miniseries?
- Actors: Robert Durst, Andrew Jarecki, Gary Napoli, Debra Kay Anderson
- Premiered: February 8, 2015