TV shows can serve a greater purpose than mere escapism. Many of the greatest series ever to make the airways taught households valuable life lessons. Parents can gather around the television with their kids knowing their children are learning something they can take with them the rest of their lives. Even shows that are completely oriented for adults can teach grown-ups important lessons about themselves they can apply to their work and romantic lives. TV shows with life lessons are important in how they can change lives. Which ones made a positive impact in your life?
Some shows have lessons that are readily apparent on the surface. For example, the show Friends teaches us how important it is to have a solid group of friends in your life. It also teaches people to not give up on love once they are in their 30s. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt may have a lot of jokes, but underneath the humor is a genuine plea for all of us to make the best out of bad circumstances. If Kimmy can make the best out of being a mole woman, then you can make the best out of whatever you are going through.
TV series that taught lessons have changed lives and offered comforting escapes. Instead of focusing on one-off life lesson episodes, this list will focus on lessons emphasized throughout the entire series. Vote for the ones that really spoke to you.
- Photo: How I Met Your Mother / CBS
- A little confidence goes a long way.
- Love should not involve sacrificing anything that makes you unique.
- Mistakes can become successes.
- Never give up on love.
6322Did they teach you well?
- Actors: Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan
- Premiered: 2005
- Photo: NBC
- We all need good friends in our lives.
- Love is out there for everyone, even if you are in your 30s.
- Parenting is hard work.
- It's a bad idea to keep a duck as a pet.
5130Did they teach you well?
- Actors: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow
- Premiered: 1994
AtypicalPhoto: Atypical / Netflix
- No one is truly normal.
- Family is the most important thing in life.
- No one is perfect.
- It's good to have hobbies.
249Did they teach you well?
- Actors: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Keir Gilchrist, Brigette Lundy-Paine, Amy Okuda, Michael Rapaport
- Premiered: 2017
- Don't let others prevent you from reaching your goals.
- Don't be afraid to love someone just because they are a little different from you.
- Don't let pride prevent you from getting the help you need.
- Be confident in yourself.
2716Did they teach you well?
- Actors: Andy Samberg, Stephanie Beatriz, Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Joe Lo Truglio
- Premiered: 2013