What does it mean to be an underdog? When the chips are down and everyone doesn't think you can make it, sometimes you end up surprising everyone, including yourself. Many shows have captured this phenomenon focusing on a person or team who has everything going against them. In truth, that what makes you as the audience want to root for them. You want to see them overcome the odds and come out victorious. The best shows about underdogs fill you with hope and inspire you to achieve great things.
Barry encapsulates this idea perfectly. He's an assassin who wants to become an actor, and for the most part, he's not very good at it. But that doesn't mean you don't hope for him to succeed every time he goes onto that stage. A similar principle is at play with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Throughout the series, you're pretty sure Rebecca isn't going to end up with Josh, but you still hope she finds a way to attain happiness.
Vote for your favorite underdog TV shows. And remember, just become a show is at the bottom of the list doesn't mean it can't make its way to the top.
BarryPhoto: HBOBarry (HBO, 2018) is an American television comedy series created by Bill Hader and Alec Berg. An ex-marine (Bill Hader) who is working as a low-rent hitman moves to Los Angeles and joins an accepting community of theater actors.... more on Wikipedia
304Do you root for this underdog?
- Actors: Bill Hader, Stephen Root, Sarah Goldberg, Glenn Fleshler, Anthony Carrigan
- Premiered: 2018
- Genres (Tv): Comedy
- Photo: Better Call Saul / AMCBetter Call Saul (AMC, 2015) is an American television drama series created by Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould, and a spinoff prequel of Breaking Bad. The trials and tribulations of lawyer, Jimmy McGill (Bob Odenkirk), in the time leading up to establishing his strip-mall law office in Albuquerque, New Mexico.... more on Wikipedia
2811Do you root for this underdog?
- Actors: Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Rhea Seehorn, Patrick Fabian, Michael Mando
- Premiered: 2015
- Genres (Tv): Crime Fiction, Drama, Comedy
- Characters: Saul Goodman, Mike Ehrmantraut, Dr. Thurber
- Photo: NBCFreaks and Geeks (NBC, 1999) is an American teen comedy-drama television series created by Paul Feig. A gifted high schooler (Linda Cardellini) starts hanging out with a group of burnouts, while her younger brother (John Francis Daley) navigates his freshman year.... more on Wikipedia
2510Do you root for this underdog?
- Actors: Linda Cardellini, John Francis Daley, James Franco
- Premiered: 1999
- Genres (Tv): Teen drama, Comedy-drama
- Characters: Lindsay Weir, Daniel Desario, Nick Andopolis, Bill Haverchuck, Kim Kelly
FleabagFleabag (BBC Three, 2016) is a British comedy series created by Phoebe Waller-Bridge, based on her 2013 one-woman show. A young woman (Waller-Bridge) tries to cope with life in London while struggling with a recent tragedy.... more on Wikipedia
204Do you root for this underdog?
- Actors: Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Hugh Skinner, Sian Clifford
- Premiered: 2016
- Genres (Tv): Comedy