Here are the best artists and bands from West Virginia. With a thriving music scene, the Mountain State has hosted numerous music festivals over the years, including All Good Music Festival, Heritage Music Blues Fest, and the West Virginia Independent Music Festival. Some amazing bands and singers got their start right here. From humble beginnings, the most famous musical artists from West Virginia have gone on to top the charts and earn acclaim all over the planet.
Brad Paisley is one of the biggest names in country music right now. Before all that, he was just a kid growing up in Glen Dale. The state has produced a lot more than country artists. In fact, you will find artists from a breadth of genres on this list of West Virginia musical artists. Frankie Yankovich is one of the most influential polka musicians of all time, and Garland Wilson was one of the best jazz pianists of all time. You may get a little bit of culture shock as you go down this list and see all the artists who at one time called West Virginia home. Other popular West Virginia artists and groups include Michael W. Smith, Byzantine, Rozwell Kid, and Bill Withers.
Vote up the best West Virginia artists, and feel free to add any other musicians, rappers, singers, and bands with WV roots.
- William Harrison Withers Jr. (July 4, 1938 – March 30, 2020) was an American singer-songwriter and musician who performed and recorded from 1970 until 1985. He recorded several major hits, including ...more
- Kathleen Alice Mattea (born June 21, 1959) is an American country music and bluegrass singer. Active since 1984 as a recording artist, she has charted more than thirty singles on the Billboard Hot ...more
- Hasil Adkins (April 29, 1937 – April 26, 2005) was an American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. His genres include rock and roll, country, blues and more commonly rockabilly, and because ...more
- Keith Perry may refer to: Keith Perry (musician), American country music and Christian music artist Keith Perry (politician) (born 1958), Republican member of the Florida House of Representatives
- Woodrow Wilson "Red" Sovine (July 7, 1917 – April 4, 1980) was an American country music singer and songwriter associated with truck driving songs, particularly those recited as narratives, but set ...more
- Brad Douglas Paisley (born October 28, 1972) is an American country music singer and songwriter. Starting with his 1999 debut album Who Needs Pictures, he has released eleven studio albums and a ...more
- Johnny Paycheck (born Donald Eugene Lytle; May 31, 1938 – February 19, 2003) was an American country music singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and Grand Ole Opry member notable for recording ...more
- James Cecil Dickens (December 19, 1920 – January 2, 2015), better known by his stage name, Little Jimmy Dickens, was an American country music singer and songwriter famous for his humorous novelty ...more
- A Story Told is an American rock band from Charleston, West Virginia, formed in 2013. The band defines themselves as “emotionally forward pop rock”. Their sound has been influenced by bands such as ...more
- Bobaflex is an American metal band from Point Pleasant, West Virginia. They were part of Gigantour in 2005 and Rock on the Range in 2008 and 2012.
- Mind Garage was an American psychedelic rock and roll band from Morgantown, West Virginia, and a progenitor of Christian rock music. Their "Electric Liturgy" performed in 1968 was the first ...more
- Frank John "Frankie" Yankovic (July 28, 1915 – October 14, 1998) was an American accordion player and polka musician. Known as "America's Polka King," Yankovic was considered the premier artist to ...more
- Connie Smith (born Constance June Meador; August 14, 1941) is an American country music artist. Discovered in 1963, Smith signed with RCA Victor Records the following year and remained with the label ...more
- Byzantine is a heavy metal band from Charleston, West Virginia, that was formed in 2000. As of March 2016, the band consists of front-man and co-founder Chris "OJ" Ojeda (rhythm guitar and vocals), ...more
- Rozwell Kid is an American indie rock band formed in 2011 in West Virginia, United States. They released their first studio album on Broken World Media and their most recent album on SideOneDummy.
- Garnet Mimms (born Garrett Mimms, November 16, 1933) is an American singer, influential in soul music and rhythm and blues. He first achieved success as the lead singer of Garnet Mimms & The ...more
- Asleep at the Wheel is an American country music group that was formed in Paw Paw, West Virginia, but is based in Austin, Texas. Altogether, they have won nine Grammy Awards since their 1970 ...more
- Harold Franklin Hawkins (December 22, 1921 – March 5, 1963), better known as Hawkshaw Hawkins, was an American country music singer popular from the 1950s into the early 1960s known for his rich, ...more
- Daniel Dale Johnston (born January 22, 1961) is an American singer-songwriter and visual artist who is regarded as a significant figure in outsider, lo-fi, and alternative music scenes. Most of his ...more
- Frederick Dewey Smith (September 14, 1948 – November 4, 1994), known professionally as Fred "Sonic" Smith, was an American guitarist, best known as a member of the influential and political Detroit ...more
- James Shannon Larkin (born April 24, 1967), is a musician best known as the drummer for rock band Godsmack. He replaced the previous drummer Tommy Stewart in June 2002. Prior to Godsmack, his ...more
- Larry Groce (born April 22, 1948) is an American singer-songwriter and radio host. Since 1983, Groce has served as the host and artistic director of Mountain Stage, a two-hour live music radio ...more
- Seven Day Jesus was a Christian rock band formed in Huntington, West Virginia in 1994. The group disbanded in 1998, and reunited for one concert in 2004.
- Hazel Jane Dickens (June 1, 1925 – April 22, 2011) was an American bluegrass singer, songwriter, double bassist and guitarist. Her music was characterized not only by her high, lonesome singing ...more
- Michael Whitaker Smith (born October 7, 1957) is an American musician, who has charted in both contemporary Christian and mainstream charts. His biggest success in mainstream music was in 1991 when ...more