Here are the best country singers and bands from West Virginia. Country music has firm roots in West Virginia. Although the state has greatly influenced the country's folk music traditions, it has also produced some of the biggest names in country music over the last century. From local bars to massive music festivals, you can see some of the finest up-and-coming country musicians who are natives of the state before they hit it big. Many popular country singers from West Virginia drew influence from their upbringings, and now, their music is available for all to listen to.
One of the biggest names to come out of West Virginia in any music genre is Brad Paisley. He was born in Glen Dale and has earned 14 CMAs and 3 Grammys. He was also the youngest person to ever be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry at the age of 28 until Carrie Underwood. He has found mainstream, crossover success, and he only represents a small portion of country music from the Mountain State.
Check out this list of the most famous West Virginia country singers. You may be surprised to see who was born or raised here. Vote for the artists you like best so that the world knows who is responsible for putting West Virginia on the map.
- 5817Brad Douglas Paisley (born October 28, 1972) is an American country music singer and... more
- James Cecil Dickens (December 19, 1920 – January 2, 2015), better known by his stage name,... more
- 209Kathleen Alice Mattea (born June 21, 1959) is an American country music and bluegrass singer.... more
- 1910Larry Groce (born April 22, 1948) is an American singer-songwriter and radio host. Since 1983,... more
- 1810Harold Franklin Hawkins (December 22, 1921 – March 5, 1963), better known as Hawkshaw Hawkins,... more
- 158Woodrow Wilson "Red" Sovine (July 7, 1917 – April 4, 1980) was an American country music... more
- Johnny Paycheck (born Donald Eugene Lytle; May 31, 1938 – February 19, 2003) was an American... more
- Lionel Burke Cartwright (born February 10, 1960) is an American country music artist. Between... more
- Connie Smith (born Constance June Meador; August 14, 1941) is an American country music... more
- Frank Hutchison (March 20, 1897 – November 9, 1945) was an American early country blues and... more
- William "Billy" Cox (born October 16, 1939) is an American bassist, best known for performing... more
- Dale Troy Cooper (October 16, 1918–March 22, 1977), known professionally as Stoney Cooper, was... more
- Robert Wayne Childers (20 November 1946 – 22 April 2008) was an American country-folk musician... more
- Charles Ray McCoy (born March 28, 1941) is a Grammy-winning American session musician noted... more
- Rachel Christine Proctor (born August 11, 1974) is an American country music artist. Before... more
- Wilma Lee Leary (February 7, 1921 – September 13, 2011), known professionally as Wilma Lee... more
- Asleep at the Wheel is an American country music group that was formed in Paw Paw, West... more