Big Boy recipes, a helpful guide to preparing your favorite dishes from the Big Boy menu at home. These copycat recipes are typically not based on exactly the method used at Big Boy, but are modeled closely on the flavor and texture of Big Boy's food, making it easier than ever to bring these great tastes to your house for cheap.
Big Boy is a chain of restaurants best known for its triple-layer cheeseburger, the Double Deck. Founded in 1936 in Glendale, CA, the company operates more than 1,000 restaurants. In addition to burgers (two beef patties, sesame-seed bun, single slice of cheese, signature Big Boy special sauce), the restaurant also offers breakfast items, salads, and desserts.
From the cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster to the amazing sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings, it's always tempting to go out for a delicious treat at one of the numerous chain and franchise restaurants dotting the landscape. But eating out at restaurants all the time can be a costly proposition. Not to mention the fact that, at restaurants, you have no portion control, and can't alter the recipes, ingredients or style of cooking to suit your own taste.
Making Big Boy recipes in your home gives you all of these options, while saving you money, and providing the same great diversity and taste that you'd find at your favorite casual dining spot. This list collections the best copycat Big Boy recipes from around the Web.
What are some of the Big Boy restaurant recipes? Take a look at this list and you'll have that answer.
Big Boy Special Sauce
2 C Hellman's Mayonaise
1/2 lemon, juice of
2 T. horseradish
2 T. minced onion
1/4 C. minced dill pickle/gherkins
1 clove garlic, minced
2 hard cooked eggs, yolks mashed, whites chopped
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1/3 C. catsup
- Of course you can use Low-fat mayo.
- Chill for 2 hours till all flavors combine.
Chili Cheese Fries
1 (32 ounce) package frozen seasoned french fries
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 cups low-fat milk
1 tablespoon margarine
8 slices American cheese, cut into pieces
1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans (such as Hormel®)
- Stir cornstarch and water in a small cup until cornstarch dissolves; set aside.
- Bring milk and margarine to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and whisk the cornstarch mixture into the milk mixture.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add the cheese to the milk mixture and stir until the cheese has melted and is well combined.
- Prepare chili as directed on the can.
- Pour the cooked chili and the cheese sauce over the top of the cooked french fries.
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds ground beef
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 teaspoons dill pickle relish
6 hamburger buns, split
6 onion slices
6 tomato slices
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 12 thin patties.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and relish; mix well.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons on each burger.
- Return to the broiler just until cheese softens.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, onion and tomato.
Caramel Banana Hotcakes
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
2 small bananas
olive oil cooking spray
- Add 2 teaspoons brown sugar.
- Whisk egg and milk in a jug.
- Stir into flour mixture until just combined.
- Mash 1 banana and stir into flour mixture.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Spray lightly with oil. Using 2 tablespoons batter per hotcake
- Cook hotcakes 2 at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
-Turn over and cook for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to a plate.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, spraying pan with oil between batches.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons brown sugar to frying pan.
- Stir in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Slice remaining banana into 12 pieces and add to frying pan.
- Cook for 1 minute or until just warmed through.
- Remove from heat.
-Turn banana to coat in sauce.
- Place 2 hotcakes on each plate.
-Top with banana and spoon over sauce.