Big Boy recipes, a helpful guide to preparing your favorite dishes from the Big Boy menu at home. These copycat recipes are typically not based on exactly the method used at Big Boy, but are modeled closely on the flavor and texture of Big Boy's food, making it easier than ever to bring these great tastes to your house for cheap.
Big Boy is a chain of restaurants best known for its triple-layer cheeseburger, the Double Deck. Founded in 1936 in Glendale, CA, the company operates more than 1,000 restaurants. In addition to burgers (two beef patties, sesame-seed bun, single slice of cheese, signature Big Boy special sauce), the restaurant also offers breakfast items, salads, and desserts.
From the cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster to the amazing sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings, it's always tempting to go out for a delicious treat at one of the numerous chain and franchise restaurants dotting the landscape. But eating out at restaurants all the time can be a costly proposition. Not to mention the fact that, at restaurants, you have no portion control, and can't alter the recipes, ingredients or style of cooking to suit your own taste.
Making Big Boy recipes in your home gives you all of these options, while saving you money, and providing the same great diversity and taste that you'd find at your favorite casual dining spot. This list collections the best copycat Big Boy recipes from around the Web.
What are some of the Big Boy restaurant recipes? Take a look at this list and you'll have that answer.
6 ounces thinly sliced Virginia baked ham
3 ounces thinly sliced natural Swiss cheese
1 (6- or 8-inch) hoagie or sub-style sandwich roll
4 thin tomato slices
sandwich sauce or Thousand Island salad dressing
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- Butter the inside of the sandwich roll, both top and bottom, and lightly brown on the griddle.
- Remove bread from griddle.
- On the bottom of the sandwich roll arrange (in order) ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato.
- Spread the top of the roll with sandwich sauce and place on top of the assembled sandwich.
- Place sandwich on griddle (bottom down) and weight with a heavy metal pan lid.
- Grill sandwich until the cheese melts.
- Cut in half, garnish with a dill pickle spear and serve with potato chips or hand-cut french fries.
1 (32 ounce) package frozen seasoned french fries
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 cups low-fat milk
1 tablespoon margarine
8 slices American cheese, cut into pieces
1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans (such as Hormel®)
- Stir cornstarch and water in a small cup until cornstarch dissolves; set aside.
- Bring milk and margarine to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and whisk the cornstarch mixture into the milk mixture.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add the cheese to the milk mixture and stir until the cheese has melted and is well combined.
- Prepare chili as directed on the can.
- Pour the cooked chili and the cheese sauce over the top of the cooked french fries.
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds ground beef
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 teaspoons dill pickle relish
6 hamburger buns, split
6 onion slices
6 tomato slices
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 12 thin patties.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and relish; mix well.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons on each burger.
- Return to the broiler just until cheese softens.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, onion and tomato.
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teasooon salt
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Beat egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add milk and melted butter.
- Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients
- Mix until batter is smooth and stir in blueberries.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Bake on hot greased griddle.