Big Boy recipes, a helpful guide to preparing your favorite dishes from the Big Boy menu at home. These copycat recipes are typically not based on exactly the method used at Big Boy, but are modeled closely on the flavor and texture of Big Boy's food, making it easier than ever to bring these great tastes to your house for cheap.
Big Boy is a chain of restaurants best known for its triple-layer cheeseburger, the Double Deck. Founded in 1936 in Glendale, CA, the company operates more than 1,000 restaurants. In addition to burgers (two beef patties, sesame-seed bun, single slice of cheese, signature Big Boy special sauce), the restaurant also offers breakfast items, salads, and desserts.
From the cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster to the amazing sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings, it's always tempting to go out for a delicious treat at one of the numerous chain and franchise restaurants dotting the landscape. But eating out at restaurants all the time can be a costly proposition. Not to mention the fact that, at restaurants, you have no portion control, and can't alter the recipes, ingredients or style of cooking to suit your own taste.
Making Big Boy recipes in your home gives you all of these options, while saving you money, and providing the same great diversity and taste that you'd find at your favorite casual dining spot. This list collections the best copycat Big Boy recipes from around the Web.
What are some of the Big Boy restaurant recipes? Take a look at this list and you'll have that answer.
Big Boy Special SaucePhoto: flickr / CC0
2 C Hellman's Mayonaise- Mix all ingredients together, wisk till smooth.
1/2 lemon, juice of
2 T. horseradish
2 T. minced onion
1/4 C. minced dill pickle/gherkins
1 clove garlic, minced
2 hard cooked eggs, yolks mashed, whites chopped
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1/3 C. catsup
- Of course you can use Low-fat mayo.
- Chill for 2 hours till all flavors combine.9023Would you try this?
Potato PancakePhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
4 large potatoes- Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl.
1 yellow onion
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper.
- Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
- Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes.
- Fry, turning once, until golden brown.
-Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time.
- Repeat until all potato mixture is used.8631Would you try this?
Garlic Mushroom and Swiss BurgerPhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
1.5 lbs 10% lean ground sirloin
1.5 lbs 15% lean ground beef
garlic pepper shopping list
1 T chopped garlic
1 packet dry Italian dressing mix
3 T grated parmesan
1 large white or yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tub fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
1 T butter or margarine
Splash jack Daniels
1/2 c grated swiss cheese
1/2 c grated provolone cheese
1/2 C mayo
1 large clove garlic
1/2 T lemon juice
zest from 1/2 lemon (1/4-1/2 t)
1/2 t fresh rosemary
1/2 T fresh oregano
1T fresh basil
- Preheat grill to medium heat
- Mix all ingredients by hand in large mixing bowl
- Shape into 6 large patties (leaving edges uneven helps burger to cook more evenly inside)
- Grill 8-12 minutes per side to desired doneness
-TURNING ONLY ONCE
- Drizzle saute pan with evoo and add 1 T butter, worcestershire, and splash jack daniels
- Saute onions and mushrooms
- Fry slices of thick cut peppered bacon and crumble
- Mix bacon with mushrooms and onions
MAYOPUTTING IT TOGETHER
- Place mayo in a small food processor.
- Finely mince garlic, or press, and add to mayo.
- Add lemon zest then juice.
- Chop all herbs and add to mayo mixture.
- Spread insides of buns with melted butter and palce on grill for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned
- Top each burger while on the grill with onion/mushroom/bacon mixture, then each type of cheese
- Spread buns with mayo, top with burger and big slice of tomato4215Would you try this?
Denver OmelettePhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY6135Would you try this?