Big Boy recipes, a helpful guide to preparing your favorite dishes from the Big Boy menu at home. These copycat recipes are typically not based on exactly the method used at Big Boy, but are modeled closely on the flavor and texture of Big Boy's food, making it easier than ever to bring these great tastes to your house for cheap.
Big Boy is a chain of restaurants best known for its triple-layer cheeseburger, the Double Deck. Founded in 1936 in Glendale, CA, the company operates more than 1,000 restaurants. In addition to burgers (two beef patties, sesame-seed bun, single slice of cheese, signature Big Boy special sauce), the restaurant also offers breakfast items, salads, and desserts.
From the cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster to the amazing sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings, it's always tempting to go out for a delicious treat at one of the numerous chain and franchise restaurants dotting the landscape. But eating out at restaurants all the time can be a costly proposition. Not to mention the fact that, at restaurants, you have no portion control, and can't alter the recipes, ingredients or style of cooking to suit your own taste.
Making Big Boy recipes in your home gives you all of these options, while saving you money, and providing the same great diversity and taste that you'd find at your favorite casual dining spot. This list collections the best copycat Big Boy recipes from around the Web.
What are some of the Big Boy restaurant recipes? Take a look at this list and you'll have that answer.
Potato PancakePhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
4 large potatoes- Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl.
1 yellow onion
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper.
- Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
- Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes.
- Fry, turning once, until golden brown.
-Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time.
- Repeat until all potato mixture is used.8713Would you try this?
Big Boy Special SaucePhoto: flickr / CC0
2 C Hellman's Mayonaise- Mix all ingredients together, wisk till smooth.
1/2 lemon, juice of
2 T. horseradish
2 T. minced onion
1/4 C. minced dill pickle/gherkins
1 clove garlic, minced
2 hard cooked eggs, yolks mashed, whites chopped
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1/3 C. catsup
- Of course you can use Low-fat mayo.
- Chill for 2 hours till all flavors combine.9725Would you try this?
Sunrise Slim Jim
6 ounces thinly sliced Virginia baked ham- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat.
3 ounces thinly sliced natural Swiss cheese
1 (6- or 8-inch) hoagie or sub-style sandwich roll
4 thin tomato slices
sandwich sauce or Thousand Island salad dressing
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- Butter the inside of the sandwich roll, both top and bottom, and lightly brown on the griddle.
- Remove bread from griddle.
- On the bottom of the sandwich roll arrange (in order) ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato.
- Spread the top of the roll with sandwich sauce and place on top of the assembled sandwich.
- Place sandwich on griddle (bottom down) and weight with a heavy metal pan lid.
- Grill sandwich until the cheese melts.
- Cut in half, garnish with a dill pickle spear and serve with potato chips or hand-cut french fries.4111Would you try this?
Double-Deck CheeseburgerPhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
2 eggs, lightly beaten- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds ground beef
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 teaspoons dill pickle relish
6 hamburger buns, split
6 onion slices
6 tomato slices
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 12 thin patties.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and relish; mix well.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons on each burger.
- Return to the broiler just until cheese softens.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, onion and tomato.5930Would you try this?