How many times have you gone to the movies to see the latest big-budget film, only to leave asking yourself, "What did I just watch?" Despite their A-list casts, stylized settings, and over-the-top action sequences, some blockbuster movies just don't have staying power. If you took time to really examine the numbers, you wouldn't believe how many recently released big movies you actually forgot.
These films are some of the top grossing movies of all time, earning more than $200 million worldwide each, yet they have been forgotten in the ever-evolving world of cinematic remakes, franchising, and innovative special effects.
- Photo: Columbia Pictures
With a star-studded cast of Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, as well as promises of an intriguing premise filled with suspense, The Tourist made $278 million during its worldwide run.
Unfortunately, its stars could neither save this film from critics' opinions nor oblivion.
767222Is this forgotten?
- Actors: Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton, Rufus Sewell
- Released: 2010
- Directed by: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
- Photo: Buena Vista Pictures
This look into dinosaur life received a lot of hype for putting computer-animated creatures in real backgrounds and landscapes, and it made $349 million back in 2000.
But now it seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur.
729295Is this forgotten?
- Actors: Hayden Panettiere, Julianna Margulies, Alfre Woodard, Frank Welker, Billy West
- Released: 2000
- Directed by: Ralph Zondag, Eric Leighton
Parents are usually desperate to take their kids to movies deemed appropriate for all audiences, regardless of the plot.
This movie about a group of guinea pigs trained by the US government in espionage grossed $292 million in 2009, but was tossed aside as soon as the next family-friendly feature was released.
678272Is this forgotten?
- Actors: Nicolas Cage, Penélope Cruz, Steve Buscemi, Zach Galifianakis, Sam Rockwell
- Released: 2009
- Directed by: Hoyt Yeatman
- Photo: Paramount Pictures
Fresh off the success of his Oscar-winning film, Almost Famous, director Cameron Crowe released this remake of a Spanish-language film starring Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz, and people ate it up.
Even though it was one of 2001's top-grossing R-rated films, nabbing $203 million at the box office, audiences weren't sure what to do with its complicated plot.
599273Is this forgotten?
- Actors: Cameron Diaz, Tom Cruise, Penélope Cruz, Steven Spielberg, Kurt Russell
- Released: 2001
- Directed by: Cameron Crowe