21 Bizarre Roadside Attractions From Across America
The great American road trip is a tradition almost as old as the automobile itself. For decades, towns across the country have constructed weird attractions to draw in travelers as they pass by, from large objects to replicas of famous monuments. Some of these strange roadside attractions seem more like the stuff of fever dreams than actual places - just consider the giant roller skate sitting in Virginia, or the six shooter-toting shrimp that hovers above Houston.
If you have a taste for the bizarre, you can visit many of these weird road trip stops today. Others collected here have since closed, but they live on in photo collections from the Library of Congress and other outlets. So gas up your car and go for a ride, and remember to keep your eyes open for unexpected sights along the way.
1. Cowboy Shrimp, Houston, TX
2. Big Fish Supper Club, Bena, MN
3. Drinking Elephant, Fortville, IN
4. Headless Statue, Marineland, FL
5. Gemini Giant, Wilmington, ILPhoto: Skyring / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain
6. Big Blue Whale, Catoosa, OKPhoto: The Erica Chang / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY 3.0