Bridges in Minnesota
A complete list of bridges in Minnesota with pictures. Famous MN bridges, the biggest and the highest. From the earliest arch and beam bridges to the newest suspension and truss bridges, this list has them all. We build bridges to span obstacles, be it a valley, waterway, or another road. A bridge's function designates its design. A bridge can can be temporary, or it can last for millennia. Many Roman bridges are still standing (and even in use) today. No surprise then that bridges often become iconic landmarks for their region.
Smith Avenue High Bridge
- The Soo Line High Bridge is a steel deck arch bridge over the St. Croix River between Stillwater, Minnesota and Somerset, Wisconsin. It was designed by structural engineer C.A.P. Turner and built by the American Bridge Company. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge was the second bridge on a Wisconsin Central Railway line that connected Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin with Minneapolis, Minnesota. The line was originally built in 1884. The crossing of the St. Croix River was difficult for the railway, since the original bridge across the river was very low and trains had to contend with a steep grade on either side of the river. This made it necessary to use ...more
- The Stillwater Bridge is a vertical-lift bridge crossing the St. Croix River between Stillwater, Minnesota, and Houlton, Wisconsin. It connects Minnesota State Highway 36 and WIS 64, and is one of two bridges on the river between the Interstate 94 bridge in Hudson, Wisconsin and the U.S. Highway 8 bridge in Taylors Falls, Minnesota, providing a popular and useful alternative to those crossings. Around 18,000 vehicles cross the bridge daily. The bridge consists of ten fixed steel truss spans 1,050 feet long in total, including a vertically lifting span 140 feet long. It is 23 feet wide, allowing one lane of traffic in each direction. The lifting span is a Waddell & Harrington type, one of ...more
- The Stone Arch Bridge is a former railroad bridge crossing the Mississippi River at Saint Anthony Falls in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the only arched bridge made of stone on the entire length of Mississippi River, and also the second oldest next to Eads Bridge. The bridge was built to connect the railway system to the new Union Depot, which at that time was planned to be built between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Avenue. The bridge was completed on 1883, costing an amazing sum of $650,000 during the time. 117 Portland Avenue is the general address of the historic complex. For a time, the bridge was dubbed "Hill's Folly" until the value of Hill's new bridge as a passenger rail ...more
- The Third Avenue Bridge is a landmark structure of the city of Minneapolis, Minnesota, originally known as the St. Anthony Falls Bridge. It carries road traffic across the Mississippi River and right over the upper fringes of Saint Anthony Falls. The multi-arched bridge meets with Third Avenue in downtown Minneapolis at its south end, but curves as it crosses the river, and connects with Central Avenue on its north end. The shallow "S" curve in the bridge was built to avoid fractures in the limestone bedrock that supports the bridge piers. The road is also designated Minnesota State Highway 65. Construction began in 1914, and it opened four years later in 1918. The bridge, which uses arches ...more
- The Wabasha Street Bridge is a segmental bridge that spans the Mississippi River in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota. It was named Wabasha Street Freedom Bridge in 2002, to commemorate the first anniversary of the September 11 attacks. It actually consists of two separate bridges, one for northbound and one for southbound traffic. The use of a concrete segmental box girder bridge provided a construction advantage because no falsework needed to be built beneath the bridge. The bridge opened to traffic in 1998; some decorative elements were not completed until late 2001. It was built by Lunda Construction Company and was designed by Toltz, King, Duvall, Anderson & Associates, Inc.. A large ...more
- Built in 1890, the 2,376 feet Walnut Street Bridge was the first to connect Chattanooga, Tennessee's downtown with the North Shore. According to a plaque on the bridge, Edwin Thacher was the chief engineer for the bridge. The bridge's superstructure was assembled by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio, which was a prolific late 19th-century bridge builder. The bridge's substructure was constructed by Neeley, Smith, and Company of Chattanooga. Most of the parts for the bridge were manufactured by Manly Jail Works of Dalton, Georgia and then shipped to the site by rail. The bridge's main spans are pin-connected Pennsylvania through truss spans. The top chord of these truss spans are ...more
- The Washington Avenue Bridge carries County Road 122 and the METRO Green Line light rail across the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota and connects the East Bank and West Bank portions of the University of Minnesota's main campus. The bridge has two decks, with the lower deck designated for motor vehicle traffic and light rail trains and the upper deck used for pedestrians and bicycles. It is a utilitarian structure with simple architecture, but it has cultural significance because thousands of students, faculty, staff, and visitors walk across it every day. Most users of the bridge get across it using some mode other than a personal automobile. Mn/DOT traffic counts from 2007 show ...more
Zumbro Parkway BridgeThe Zumbro Parkway Bridge is a steel arch bridge located in Zumbro Falls, Minnesota. The bridge was built in 1937 by the engineer J.M. Evans and is 59 feet long and 32.9 feet wide. It allows County 68 to cross a portion of the Zumbro River. The bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places, and has been listed since 1989.
Zumbrota Covered BridgeThe Zumbrota Covered Bridge is Minnesota's last remaining covered bridge. It has been restored and is located in Covered Bridge Park in Zumbrota, Minnesota.