Centralia, Pennsylvania has become a vision of hell. Most of the town's buildings are gone, and hot gases spout from the hillsides. But what happened to turn the once-charming small town into a nightmare landscape?
Centralia has been burning for over 55 years. A vibrant mining town, Centralia depended for decades on its rich deposits of anthracite coal. But one day, a fire began in an abandoned mineshaft, and nobody has been able to put it out. The fire spread through the coal veins, heating the earth below the buildings and endangering residents. Houses burned down, people began passing out from carbon monoxide poisoning, and sinkholes destroyed roads. The town of Centralia slowly became a ghost town, and around a dozen people stubbornly refuse to leave to this day.
In 1962, The Mine Below Centralia Caught Fire
The coal mines in and around Centralia began to shut down after the war. However, the town's long struggle with coal was just beginning. While not everyone agrees how the fire started, the most common story is that it began when a landfill near the mouth of one of the mines was set ablaze by the volunteer fire department. Another theory suggests that a coal fire from 1932 had never been fully extinguished and slowly spread across the abandoned mine.
The Hillsides Are Covered In Vents That Spew Toxic Gases
With the fire burning below ground, all of the smoke and gas it produces needs somewhere to go. If you were to walk through Centralia, you'd see hillsides dotted with vents. Some are man-made pipes which allow gas to escape, while others are natural holes that have formed in the Earth. Either way, going near them means putting yourself at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Some produce the gas at life-threatening levels.
Daily Concerns For Residents Include Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The heat and gases from the fire underground pose a number of risks to the residents of Centralia. The extent of the danger wasn't fully realized until the late 1970s, when strange and alarming incidents began to occur. One of the most frightening was the near-death of Todd Domboski—the 12-year-old was walking in his backyard when a sinkhole opened up and nearly swallowed him. He was able to cling to roots along the side of the pit before he was pulled to safety. Otherwise, he would have fallen into a 150-foot hole of carbon monoxide. Other common concerns include structure fires and the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning in homes and businesses.
The Fire Is Going To Have To Burn Itself Out Completely
The burn has been described as an "epic, meatless barbecue." Under normal circumstances, if a fire occurs the fire department simply puts it out. But with this fire, there is physically no way to extinguish it. It's destined to smolder until it completely burns itself out, which some predict could take as long as 250 years.