They may be jet setters, but many celebrities are actually afraid of flying. These actors, musicians, and directors are frank about their fears, discussing them in interviews and on social media. Some of these celebrities afraid to fly developed a phobia due to excessive travel, and other famous people were understandably scared after surviving plane crashes.
It may surprise you to see Miley Cyrus at the top of this list of celebrities afraid of flying. The pop sensation is fearless on stage, but flying to each gig pushes her personal limits. Actress Megan Fox also hates flying. "I developed that when I turned 20," she said. "All of a sudden I got really afraid to get on airplanes. I had to come up with a way to deal with it because I didn't want to have panic attacks every time I get on a plane." Her solution? Listening to Britney Spears – who, coincidentally, also appears on this list.
Several famous men also hate hopping on airplanes. Ben Affleck said his fear of flying stems from a childhood experience flying on a plane that was struck by lightning. In 2008, musician Travis Barker survived a horrific plane crash that continues to give him anxiety when he travels.
What other stars are coping with their phobia of flight? Read on to find out.
- Photo: JStone / ShutterstockMiley Cyrus is known for her bold stage presence and outspoken personality, but the pop star has shared that long flights make her nervous and edgy.
- Age: 29
- Profession: Musician, Singer-songwriter, Actor, Voice acting, Dancer
- Credits: Bolt, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, The Last Song, Hannah Montana: The Movie
- Photo: Tinseltown / Shutterstock
He may have starred as the often-airborne Caped Crusader, but Ben Affleck is afraid of flying. The fear stems from childhood: the superstar once flew on a plane that was struck by lightning.
- Age: 49
- Profession: Businessperson, Professional Poker Player, Television producer, Film Producer, Screenwriter
- Credits: Argo, Good Will Hunting, Gone Girl, The Town
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockIn spite of her memorable costume as a flight attendant in the music video for "Toxic," Britney Spears has said she gets anxious in airplanes.
- Age: 40
- Profession: Fashion designer, Record producer, Businessperson, Songwriter, Television producer
- Credits: Bridesmaids, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Spring Breakers, Knocked Up
- Believe it or not, Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner, may be afraid of flying. He even turned down an opportunity to be among the first people blasted into space on Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic.
- Age: 90
- Profession: Spokesperson, Television director, Television producer, Novelist, Musician
- Credits: Star Trek,Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier