It's hard to imagine a glamorous actress or a beloved musician behind bars, but unfortunately, celebrity status and success weren't enough to keep these famous felons out of the big house. Many actors, models, musicians, rappers, athletes, and TV personalities have be convicted of felonies. Celebrities convicted of felonies have to pay the price for their crimes, just like any other criminal. Some celebrities grew up surrounded by illegal wrong-doings, while others cite their felonies as a "one-time mistake."
Who's the most famous celebrity to get stuck in the pokey? Chris Brown tops our list. In December 2009, Chris Brown was convicted of assault and battery of his then-girlfriend, Rihanna. Shockingly, Mark Wahlberg also committed a felony - when he was 16 years old, he was convicted for the racially motivated assault and attempted murder of two Vietnamese men. He beat one of them with a wooden stick, and punched the other in the face, knocking both of them unconscious.
As for famous female felons, Martha Stewart is well-known for her 2004 insider trading scandal. She was convicted of felony conspiracy charges, as well as lying to police and obstructing justice. Courtney Love has been charged with two separate felonies; one was a drug possession charge, and the other was for assaulting a woman with a bottle and a metal flashlight.Are you surprised that so many celebrities are convicted felons? Let us know in the comment section below!
- Photo: Mark Makela / Getty Images
On September 25, 2018, Judge Steven T. O'Neill sentenced Bill Cosby to three to 10 years in state prison. Cosby was tried in Norristown, PA, for the 2004 drugging and assault of Andrea Constand in his Cheltenham home.
In 2017, Cosby was found guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault for the night with Constand. It was the second trial for Cosby concerning these charges - the first trial in June 2017 was a mistrial.
Cosby is the first celebrity of the Me Too movement to be sentenced to prison.
- Age: 83
- Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Profession: Activist, Film Score Composer, Television director, Television producer, Musician
In 2008, Suge Knight was arrested for aggravated assault and drug charges. Police found him beating his girlfriend, Melissa Issac, and threatening her with a knife. He was reportedly on cocaine and ecstasy at the tile of the attack.
In 2014, Knight was arrested along with Katt Williams for second degree robbery after they stole a camera from a female photographer. He was arrested in 2015 on suspicion of running over two people with his car, and then fleeing the scene. The whole thing was caught on camera, and Knight says that his actions were in self defense.
In 2018, he pleaded guilty to murder for running over the two men in 2015. The court sentenced him to 28 years in prison for voluntary manslaughter. Citing his poor health, Knight told the judge he anticipates dying in prison.
- Age: 55
- Birthplace: Lynwood, California, United States of America
- Profession: Bodyguard, Promoter, American football player
- In December 2009, Chris Brown assaulted his then-girlfriend, pop singer Rhianna, and was charged with felony assault and criminal threat. He plead guilty at his trial, and was offered a plea deal that allowed him to forgo jail in place of 5 years of formal probation, community service, and domestic violence classes.
- Age: 31
- Birthplace: Tappahannock, Virginia, United States of America
- Profession: Record producer, Songwriter, Rapper, Entrepreneur, Singer-songwriter
- In 2003, Courtney Love was convicted of felony drug possession following a painkiller overdose that nearly killed her. A year later in 2004, she was charged with felony assault for attacking a woman with a bottle and a metal flashlight.
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: California, United States of America
- Profession: Film Score Composer, Record producer, Guitarist, Songwriter, Musician