It's the stuff of Hollywood screenplays: a man or woman left standing at the altar, jilted by someone to whom they were about to make the ultimate commitment. But even though the scenario has long been a favorite of screenwriters, several well-known actors, actresses, and musicians have actually lived it. Some of these celebrities remained friends with their exes, while others seem to wish their engagements never happened. Many famous people who were left at the altar were completely blindsided by their fiances.
The most famous face among celebrities who were left at the altar might be Jennifer Lopez. The superstar and her then-fiance Ben Affleck called off their wedding mere days before they were supposed to tie the knot. Many guests were reportedly on hand to personally witness the break-up. And actor Kiefer Sutherland might not have been surprised when Julia Roberts called off their wedding shortly before the ceremony, as he had been spotted hanging out with a go-go dancer in previous weeks. Roberts drove the nail into the coffin of the relationship by going on her honeymoon with Sutherland's Lost Boys co-star Jason Patric.What other celebrity couples waited until the last minute to call off their weddings? Some of the famous exes on this list may surprise you.
- Photo: Helga Esteb / ShutterstockDespite the tabloid rumors, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck seemed prepared to tie the knot in California in 2003. But the pair called off their wedding shortly before the ceremony, initially citing media interference before splitting up for good. The news came as a shock to their guests, many of whom witnessed the break-up first hand.
- Age: 52
- Birthplace: Castle Hill, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Michael Buckner/Staff / Getty Images EntertainmentGwyneth Paltrow and Brad Pitt were reportedly set to marry in 1997, but the couple never made it to the altar.
- Age: 48
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Photo: Everett Collection / Shutterstock.comPlayboy mogul Hugh Hefner has said that he was shocked that his fiance, Crystal Harris, decided to call off their wedding just five days before the event. "I didn't see it coming, I truly didn't see it coming," he said.
- Age: Dec. at 91 (1926-2017)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Alternative Name: Hugh Hefner, Hugh Heffner
- Perhaps Kiefer Sutherland shouldn't have been surprised when Julia Roberts called off their wedding just days before the ceremony – the couple was reportedly having troubles for some time. But that likely didn't decrease the sting of his would-be bride immediately heading to Ireland with Sutherland's Lost Boys co-star Jason Patric.
- Age: 54
- Birthplace: Paddington, London, United Kingdom
- Alternative Name: Kiefer Sutherland