Even for celebrities, wedding season in unavoidable. And when you're famous, you don't just get to show up and quietly get drunk with the rest of the guests. No, stars are often tasked with big jobs when their friends get married. Some celebrities are even part of the ceremony!
This list contains information about celebrities who officiated weddings, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Several famous actors, musicians and comedians have officiated weddings. Some of these ordained ministers presided over the weddings of other celebrities, while others presided over the weddings of their fans. A couple celebrities even officiated weddings that were televised.
Take Jonah Hill. The Oscar nominee didn't just show up at his childhood pal Adam Levine's wedding, he actually performed the ceremony! Emma Stone presided over the wedding of her Zombieland director, Ruben Fleischer, and her publicist, Holly Shakoor. Kathy Griffin officiated the wedding of two of her fans, Brian Anstey and Elka Shapiro, back in 2008.
Some of these celebrity-officiated weddings happened on live TV! In 2011, Conan O'Brien officiated the wedding of Scott Cronick and his partner David Gorshein. The wedding was broadcast on air during Conan.From Ian McKellen to Benedict Cumberbatch, which celebrity officiant would you like to have preside over your nuptials? Take a look at this list and share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: flickr / CC0Ian McKellen officiated the wedding of his X-Men co-star, Patrick Stewart, and his bride, Sunny Ozell, in 2013.
- Age: 81
- Birthplace: Burnley, United Kingdom
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYBenedict Cumberbatch officiated the wedding of Seth Cummings and Rob Rinder in 2013.
- Age: 39
- Birthplace: Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
- For a "bridesmaid dress" challenge on Project Runway, judge Alyssa Milano got ordained to marry a couple. She said of the experience: "I was ordained online; that was not a very romantic process! But at the ceremony I got super, super emotional. Of course, I was 7 1/2 months pregnant and very hormonal, but I definitely always cry at weddings. And me officiating was no different!"
- Age: 47
- Birthplace: Bensonhurst, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Chris Farina/CorbisKathy Griffin officiated the wedding of two of her fans, Brian Anstey and Elka Shapiro, back in 2008.
- Age: 59
- Birthplace: Oak Park, Illinois, United States of America