UPDATED: Check out the celebrities turning 85 in 2020!
Several famous people celebrated their 85th birthdays in 2019. Iconic actors, pop stars, and top athletes all joined the list of famous 85 year olds. Some eighty-five-year-old celebrities are still actively working as actors and speakers, while other famous people who are 85 haven't stepped back from the limelight.
Who turned 85 in 2019? Sophia Loren celebrated her 85th birthday on September 20th. The Academy Award-winning actress is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful women in the world. Everyone's favorite “Ginger” Tina Louise also turned 85 in 2019.
Dame Maggie Smith (born December 28, 1934) and Dame Judi Dench (born December 9, 1934) both enjoyed their 85th year of life. Other famous people who turned 85 in 2019 include Shirley MacLaine, Alan Arkin, and Bill Russell.
Which celebrities who are 85 do you think have aged the best? Give this list a look and join in on the conversation in the comments section.
- Sofia Villani Scicolone Dame Grand Cross OMRI (born 20 September 1934), known professionally as Sophia Loren, is an Italian actress. A recognizable star of Hollywood's Golden Age, she was named by the American Film Institute as the 21st greatest female star of Classic Hollywood Cinema. Encouraged to enroll in acting lessons after entering a beauty pageant, Loren began her film career at age 16 in 1950. In 1956, Loren had a five-picture contract with Paramount, which launched her international career. Notable film appearances around this time include The Pride and the Passion, Houseboat, and It Started in Naples. She has also won a Grammy Award, five special Golden Globes (including the... more on Wikipedia
- Birthplace: Rome, Italy
- Born: September 20, 1934
- Photo: Featureflash Photo Agency / ShutterstockDame Margaret Natalie Smith (born 28 December 1934) is an English actress. She has had an extensive, varied career on stage, film, and television, spanning over 67 years. Smith has appeared in more than 50 films, and is one of Britain's most recognisable actresses. She was made a Dame by Queen Elizabeth II in 1990 for contributions to the performing arts, and received the Companion of Honour from the Queen in 2014 for services to drama.Smith began her career on stage as a student, performing at the Oxford Playhouse in 1952, and made her professional debut on Broadway in New Faces of '56. For her work on the London stage, she has won a record five Best Actress Evening Standard Awards: for... more on Wikipedia
- Birthplace: London, England
- Born: December 28, 1934
- Dame Judith Olivia Dench (born 9 December 1934) is an English actress. Dench made her professional debut in 1957 with the Old Vic Company. Over the following few years, she performed in several of Shakespeare's plays, in such roles as Ophelia in Hamlet, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, and Lady Macbeth in Macbeth. Although most of her work during this period was in theatre, she also branched into film work and won a BAFTA Award as Most Promising Newcomer. She drew strong reviews for her leading role in the musical Cabaret in 1968. Over the next two decades, Dench established herself as one of the most significant British theatre performers, working for the National Theatre Company and the Royal... more on Wikipedia
- Birthplace: Heworth, United Kingdom
- Born: December 9, 1934
- Shirley MacLaine (born Shirley MacLean Beaty; April 24, 1934) is an American film, television, and theater actress, singer, dancer, activist, and author. An Academy Award winner, MacLaine received the 40th AFI Life Achievement Award from the American Film Institute in 2012, and received the Kennedy Center Honors for her lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts in 2013. She is known for her New Age beliefs, and has an interest in spirituality and reincarnation. She has written a series of autobiographical works that describe these beliefs, document her world travels, and describe her Hollywood career. Her first film was Alfred Hitchcock's The Trouble With Harry... more on Wikipedia
- Birthplace: Richmond, Virginia, United States of America
- Born: April 24, 1934