Which stars become 85 year old celebrities in 2020? This list has all the singers, athletes, and actors born in 1935. At the top of the list is the lovely Julie Andrews, who has delighted screens for decades in Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, and in more recent times, The Princess Diaries series.
Reaching the age of 85 is no small feat for anyone, especially if you've lived a rock-and-roll lifestyle like "The Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis. Other celebrities born in 1935 include Donald Sutherland, Judd Hirsch, and Christina Pickles.
While most of the names on this list are entertainers, don't forget about the current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, who is 85 in 2020. Keep reading to learn more about the famous people born in 1935.
- Photo: Helga Esteb / ShutterstockDame Julie Andrews, (born 1 October 1935) is an English actress, singer and author. Andrews, a child actress and singer, appeared in the West End in 1948 and made her Broadway debut in The Boy Friend (1954). Billed as “Britain’s youngest prima donna”, she rose to prominence starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady (1956) playing Eliza Doolittle, and Camelot (1960) playing Queen Guinevere. In 1957, Andrews starred in the premiere of Rodgers and Hammerstein's written-for-television musical Cinderella, a live, network broadcast seen by over 100 million viewers. Andrews made her feature film debut in Mary Poppins (1964), and won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance... more
- Age: 84
- Birthplace: Walton-on-Thames, United Kingdom
- Photo: Dave J Hogan / Getty ImagesDonald McNichol Sutherland, (born 17 July 1935) is a Canadian actor whose film career spans more than five decades. Sutherland rose to fame after starring in films including The Dirty Dozen (1967), M*A*S*H (1970), Kelly's Heroes (1970), Klute (1971), Don't Look Now (1973), Fellini's Casanova (1976), 1900 (1976), Animal House (1978), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Ordinary People (1980) and Eye of the Needle (1981). He subsequently established himself as one of the most respected, prolific and versatile character actors of Canada.He later went on to star in many other films where he appeared either in leading or supporting roles such as A Dry White Season (1989), JFK (1991),... more
- Age: 84
- Birthplace: Saint John, Canada
- Jerry Lee Lewis (born September 29, 1935) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and pianist, often known by his nickname, The Killer. He has been described as "rock & roll's first great wild man."A pioneer of rock and roll and rockabilly music, Lewis made his first recordings in 1956 at Sun Records in Memphis. "Crazy Arms" sold 300,000 copies in the South, but it was his 1957 hit "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" that shot Lewis to fame worldwide. He followed this with "Great Balls of Fire", "Breathless" and "High School Confidential". However, Lewis's rock and roll career faltered in the wake of his marriage to Myra Gale Brown, his 13-year-old cousin. He had minimal success in the... more
- Age: 84
- Birthplace: Ferriday, Louisiana, United States of America
- The 14th Dalai Lama (born 6 July 1935) is the current Dalai Lama. Dalai Lamas are important monks of the Gelug school, the newest school of Tibetan Buddhism, which was formally headed by the Ganden Tripas. From the time of the 5th Dalai Lama to 1959, the central government of Tibet, the Ganden Phodrang, invested the position of Dalai Lama with temporal duties.The 14th Dalai Lama was born in Taktser, Amdo, Tibet. He was selected as the tulku of the 13th Dalai Lama in 1937 and formally recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama in a public declaration near the town of Bumchen in 1939. His enthronement ceremony as the Dalai Lama was held in Lhasa on 22 February 1940 and he eventually assumed full... more
- Age: 84
- Birthplace: Taktser, China