For living celebrities born in 1931, 2021 is the year they'll turn 90 years old. Reaching nine decades in age is quite the accomplishment — these soon-to-be 90 year old actresses, actors, and entrepreneurs have much to be proud of. These celebrities that were born in 1931 were young children during the Great Depression, came of age during the 40s and 50s, and made their impact on the world throughout the 60s, 70s, and beyond.
One of the most famous celebrity born in 1931 is actor William Shatner. He is best known for his iconic role of Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise in the Star Trek franchise. Another famous celebrity turning 90 in 2021 is James Earl Jones. Over the course of his distinguished career, he has won three Tony Awards, a Grammy Award, and two Primetime Emmy Awards.
This list features many more important people born in 1931, from former athletes to politicians to writers. These celebrities who are 90 found fame in different fields, and lived to tell the tale. Keep reading this list to learn more about these important figures who will reach the impressive milestone of turning 90 in 2021.
- William Shatner (born March 22, 1931) is a Canadian actor, author, producer, director, and singer. In his seven decades of television, Shatner became a cultural icon for his portrayal of Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise in the Star Trek franchise. He has written a series of books chronicling his experiences playing Captain Kirk and being a part of Star Trek, and has co-written several novels set in the Star Trek universe. He has also written a series of science fiction novels called TekWar that were adapted for television. Shatner also played the eponymous veteran police sergeant in T.J. Hooker (1982–1986) and hosted the reality-based television series Rescue 911 (1989–1996),... more
- Born: 1931-03-22
- Birthplace: Côte Saint-Luc, Canada
- James Earl Jones (born January 17, 1931) is an American actor. His career has spanned more than seven decades, and he has been described as "one of America's most distinguished and versatile" actors and "one of the greatest actors in American history". Since his Broadway debut in 1957, Jones has won many awards, including a Tony Award for his role in The Great White Hope, which also earned him a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role for the film version of the play. Jones has won three Emmy Awards, including two in the same year in 1990. He is also known for his voice roles as Darth Vader in the Star Wars film series and Mufasa in Disney's The... more
- Born: 1931-01-17
- Birthplace: Arkabutla, Mississippi, United States of America
- Rita Moreno (born December 11, 1931) is a Puerto Rican actress, dancer and singer. Her career has spanned over 70 years; among her notable acting work are supporting roles in the musical films The King and I and West Side Story, as well as a 1971–77 stint on the children's television series The Electric Company, and a supporting role on the 1997–2003 TV drama Oz. Moreno is one of the few artists to have won all four major annual American entertainment awards: an Oscar, an Emmy, a Grammy and a Tony. She is also one of 23 people who have achieved what is called the Triple Crown of Acting, with individual competitive Academy, Emmy and Tony awards for acting; she and Helen Hayes are the only... more
- Born: 1931-12-11
- Birthplace: Humacao, United States, with Territories
- Willie Howard Mays, Jr. (born May 6, 1931), nicknamed "The Say Hey Kid", is an American former Major League Baseball (MLB) center fielder who spent almost all of his 22-season career playing for the New York/San Francisco Giants, before finishing with the New York Mets. He is regarded as one of the greatest baseball players of all time and was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1979. Mays won two National League (NL) Most Valuable Player (MVP) awards, he ended his career with 660 home runs—third at the time of his retirement and currently fifth all-time—and won a record-tying 12 Gold Glove awards beginning in 1957, when the award was introduced.Mays shares the record of most All-Star... more
- Born: 1931-05-06
- Birthplace: Westfield, Alabama, United States of America