This list includes information about celebrities who adopted as single mothers, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Several celebrities have adopted children with their significant others, but a few famous ladies actually adopted as single mothers. Some of these women started the adoption process with what turned out to be their soon to be ex-husbands, while others went through the entire process on their own.
Who is the most famous person who adopted as a single mother? Angelina Jolie tops this list. In 2002, she adopted her son, Maddox, as a single mother. She then adopted her daughter Zahara in 2005. Her partner, Brad Pitt, later adopted both children. As a couple, Jolie and Pitt adopted their son Pax in 2007. They also have three biological children, Shiloh (born in 2006), and twins Knox and Vivienne (born in 2008).Do you think that these women are brave for adopting as single mothers? Have you adopted a child? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Hoda Kotb / The Today Show
Today Show host Hoda Kotb announced in February 2017 that she adopted a baby girl born on Valentine's Day. Her new daughter - named Haley Joy - is Kotb's first child. "She is the love of my life," she said in an interview on Today.
- Born: 1964-08-09
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Norman, Oklahoma, USA
- Photo: flickr / CC0In 2002, Angelina Jolie adopted her son Maddox as a single mother. She then adopted her daughter Zahara in 2005. Her partner Brad Pitt later adopted both children. As a couple, Jolie and Pitt adopted their son Pax in 2007. They also have three biological children, Shiloh (born in 2006), and twins Knox and Vivienne (born in 2008).
- Born: 1975-06-04
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BY
Madonna adopted her son David and her daughter Mercy as a single mother. Both children are from Malawi. Madonna also has two biological children, Lourdes (born in 1996) and Rocco (born in 2000).
In 2017, Madonna adopted two more children from Malawi - twins Stella and Esther.
- Born: 1958-08-16
- Age: 63
- Birthplace: Bay City, Michigan, United States of America
- Photo: flickr / CC0Charlize Theron announced that she adopted her son Jackson in 2012. Speaking with Ellen DeGeneres, Theron said, "The process, it took around two years. My mom said the most beautiful thing. I’m going to cry. She said…'it took me nine months to fall in love with you were growing in my stomach.' She’s like it took you two years to fall in love with this little baby."
- Born: 1975-08-07
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa