This list contains information about celebrities who are estranged from their parents, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Several famous actors, actresses, and musicians are estranged from their parents. Some of these famous people emancipated from their parents when they were children or in their teens, while others became estranged later in life.
Who is the most famous person who is estranged from their parents? Jennifer Aniston tops our list. Jennifer Aniston became estranged from her mother, Nancy Dow, when Dow wrote a book about their relationship entitled From Mother and Daughter to Friends: A Memoir. Kate Hudson's parents, Goldie Hawn and Bill Hudson, divorced before she was two years old. Hudson is estranged from her father and considers her mother's longtime love, Kurt Russell, to be her dad.
Several famous men are also estranged from their parents. Macauley Culkin has neither seen nor spoken to his father since he was 16. Tracy Morgan is estranged from much of his family. In 2012 he said, "As of this moment, I'm estranged from my own mother and most of my family, and I'm not sure that's going to change much. I'm not saying why, I'm just saying that's how it is. It's okay though. I've gotten used to it. I'm an island, kind of like Antigua: hot and humid, definitely a destination of choice if you want to get freaky or just kick back. And pretty isolated."
Are you surprised that so many celebrities are estranged from their parents? Share your thoughts on these celebs who don't have relationships with their fathers or mothers in the comments section. Then check out these stories from children of celebrities.
- Eminem was abandoned by his father before he turned two years old. In 1999, his mother sued him for $10 million for slandering her in his lyrics on The Slim Shady LP. He remained largely estranged from her, until he released his apologetic track "Headlights" in 2013.
- Born: 1972-10-17
- Age: 49
- Birthplace: Saint Joseph, Missouri
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseKate Hudson's parents, Goldie Hawn and Bill Hudson, divorced before she turned two years old. Hudson is estranged from her father and considers her mother's longtime love, Kurt Russell, to be her dad.
- Born: 1979-04-19
- Age: 42
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYHeather Graham is estranged from her family. Her religious parents reportedly objected to Graham taking a role as a porn star in the film Boogie Nights, which made her into a star. Graham hasn't involved them in her life since 1997.
- Born: 1970-01-29
- Age: 51
- Birthplace: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYDrew Barrymore successfully filed for emancipation from her parents when she was 15 years old. Barrymore has been estranged from her mother for most of her life. In 2014, she said, "It's the hardest subject in my life. I've never just been angry with her. I've always felt guilt and empathy and utter sensitivity. But we can’t really be in each other's lives at this point."
- Born: 1975-02-22
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, Culver City, California, United States of America