This list contains information about celebrities who divorced their parents, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Several famous actors, actresses, and musicians have legally emancipated from their parents. Some of these celebrities divorced their parents to avoid child labor laws, while others wanted to have control over their own finances.
Who is the most famous person who divorced their parents? Drew Barrymore tops our list. Drew Barrymore successfully filed for emancipation from her parents when she was 15 years old. Barrymore has been estranged from her mother for most of her life. In 2014 she said, "It's the hardest subject in my life. I've never just been angry with her. I've always felt guilt and empathy and utter sensitivity. But we can’t really be in each other's lives at this point." Juliette Lewis legally emancipated from her parents, Geoffrey Lewis and Glenis Duggan Batley, to avoid slowing her career down to accommodate child labor laws. She considers her parents to be "the best."
Macaulay Culkin became legally emancipated from his parents when he was 14 years old. Around the same time, in 1995, his parents got divorced, and Culkin has been estranged from his father, Kit, ever since. With the support of her parents, Dawson's Creek star Michelle Williams filed for emancipation when she was 15 years old so that she could avoid adhering to child labor laws.Are you surprised that so many child stars divorced their parents? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Jena Malone became legally emancipated from her parents in 2000.
- Born: 1984-11-21
- Age: 36
- Birthplace: Sparks, Nevada, United States of America
- Macaulay Culkin became legally emancipated from his parents when he was 14 years old. Around the same time, in 1995, his parents got divorced, and Culkin has been estranged from his father, Kit, ever since.
- Born: 1980-08-26
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Jaime Pressly became legally emancipated from her parents at age 15 so that she could travel to Japan by herself for a modeling gig.
- Born: 1977-07-30
- Age: 44
- Birthplace: Kinston, North Carolina, United States of America
- Alicia Silverstone became legally emancipated from her parents when she was 15 so that child labor laws wouldn't hold her back while she was filming The Crush.
- Born: 1976-10-04
- Age: 44
- Birthplace: San Francisco, California, USA