25 Celebrities Who Became Famous After 40
Not all celebrities found fame and fortune in their twenties or even in their thirties. Several famous actors, authors, and TV personalities became once they were much older. While these celebs may have gotten a late start, many have made the most of their time and gone on to win awards and national or even international fame. These stars all had their big break and became famous after they turned 40.
Who is the most notable person to become famous after age 40? Steve Carell tops this list. Steve Carell was a correspondent on "The Daily Show" from 1999-2005, but he did not become a household name until he landed the lead role on "The Office" at age 43.
Some actresses had their big breaks after 40 as well, one of them on "Desperate Housewives." Which other famous people found celebrity after they were 40? Read through the list below to find out.Do you think it is better to experience success after 40? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Steve Carell was a correspondent on "The Daily Show" from 1999-2005, but he didn't become a household name until he landed the lead role on the American version of "The Office" in 2005. He was 43 at the time.
- Age: 60
- Birthplace: Concord, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseSimon Cowell was known in England for many years, but he became famous worldwide when "American Idol" debuted in the United States in 2002. He was 43 years old at the time.
- Age: 63
- Birthplace: Lambeth, London, United Kingdom
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYBetty White gained mainstream attention when she first appeared on "The Mary Tyler Moore" show in 1973. She was 51 years old.
- Age: 101
- Birthplace: Oak Park, Illinois, USA
- Photo: flickr / CC0Samuel L. Jackson appeared in a few small roles in the 1970s, but he didn't begin to gain attention until he was 41, when he landed a role in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing.
- Age: 74
- Birthplace: Washington, D.C., United States of America
- Morgan Freeman appeared in several small roles in film and TV as early as the 1960s, but it wasn't until 1989 that Freeman gained mainstream attention. That year, at age 52, Freeman appeared in Glory, Driving Miss Daisy, and Lean on Me.
- Age: 86
- Birthplace: Memphis, Tennessee, United States of America
- Sharon Osbourne played a vital role in the career of her husband Ozzy Osbourne, but she wasn't famous until she was 50 years old. That year, her family's reality show "The Osbournes" first aired on MTV.
- Age: 70
- Birthplace: London, England, UK