America has an interesting fascination with celebrity. We build up certain people to be larger than life and then follow their every move and decision. The United States, as a country, also struggles with obesity and weight loss. Many celebrities also struggle with weight issues, and the famous people on this list have all undergone weight loss surgery to help start their weight loss journey.
From gastric bypass to the Lap-Band, many celebrities have had surgery to get started on a healthier lifestyle and achieve their weight loss goals. This list features famous celebrities who have had their stomachs stapled or have the Lap-Band.
Read through the list below to find out which famous people have had a weight loss procedure.
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYSharon Osbourne underwent gastric bypass surgery in 1999. In a recent interview, Osbourne explained that having the surgery made her feel like a cheat. She had the band removed in 2006 and now maintains her weight with diet and exercise.
- Age: 69
- Birthplace: England, London
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License"American Idol" judge Randy Jackson had gastric bypass surgery in 2003. He dropped over 100 lbs after having the procedure. In 2008, Jackson announced that he suffers from type 2 diabetes.
- Age: 65
- Birthplace: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
"Tommy Boy" actor Brian Dennehy reportedly had Lap-Band surgery in the early 2000s.
- Age: Dec. at 81 (1938-2020)
- Birthplace: Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseRoseanne Barr had gastric bypass surgery in 1998. She has been public about her decision to go under the knife. She jokes, "I had my entire digestive system removed, so I should look thinner."
- Age: 68
- Birthplace: Salt Lake City, Utah