30 Celebrities Who Hold Patents
Most people think that only scientists, zany inventors, and large corporations hold patents, but many there are many celebrities with patents, too! This list contains photos and information about celebrities who hold a patent (or, in some cases, multiple patents), loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Several famous actors, musicians, and authors hold patents for their inventions. Some of these celebrities are always creating innovations in their field, but other famous people who hold patents may surprise you.
Who is the most famous person who has a patent? Michael Jackson tops this list. Michael Jackson holds a co-inventor patent for an anti-gravity stage illusion. Other musicians who have patens include Prince, who designed a new portable keyboard, and Eddie Van Halen, who designed a device to help his support his guitar while he goes nuts on a sick guitar solo during shows. Harry Connick, Jr. also holds a patent; he developed a new electronic system for reading sheet music.
Several famous celebrity women also hold patents. Christie Brinkley holds the patent for an educational toy which helps kids learn their ABCs and Jamie Lee Curtis holds a patent for a diaper with pockets containing wipes (yes, really!). Other famous people with patents include Neil Young, George Lucas, and Marlon Brando.Which celebrity inventions do you think are the most useful? Which famous people who have patents were you most surprised bye? Take a look at this list and share your opinion in the comments section!
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License
Michael Jackson holds a co-inventor patent with two of his costume designers for specially designed shoes that gave the illusion that he was leaning beyond his center of gravity. The shoes were created along with the famous moonwalk dance move (which is not patented) for his 1988 music video, Smooth Criminal.
Source: US 5255452 A
- Age: Dec. at 50 (1958-2009)
- Birthplace: Gary, Indiana, United States of America
- Profession: Film Score Composer, Businessperson, Record producer, Musician, Film Producer
- Height: 5'8"
- Cause Of Death: Cardiac arrest, Homicide
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BY
Christie Brinkley holds the patent for an educational toy which helps kids learn their ABCs.
Source: US 4998883 A
- Age: 69
- Birthplace: Detroit, Michigan, USA
- Profession: Pin-up girl, Model, Designer, Supermodel, Actor
- Height: 5'8"
Steven Spielberg holds a co-inventor patent for a Dolly track switch.Source: US D401951 S
- Age: 76
- Birthplace: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States of America
- Profession: Television director, Businessperson, Television producer, Entrepreneur, Film Producer
- Height: 5'7"
Paula Abdul invented a more mobile mic stand.Source: US 20090196451 A1
- Age: 60
- Birthplace: San Fernando, California, USA
- Profession: Television producer, Singer-songwriter, Choreographer, Actor, Music video director
- Height: 5'0"
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
Bill Nye holds the patent for a better designed ballet shoe.Source: US 6895694 B2
- Age: 67
- Birthplace: Washington, D.C., USA
- Profession: Comedian, Educator, Screenwriter, Scientist, Actor
- Height: 6'0"
Jamie Lee Curtis holds a patent for a diaper with pockets containing wipes.Source: US 4753647 A
- Age: 64
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Profession: Author, Actor, Voice acting, Writer
- Height: 5'6"