30 Celebrities Who Quit Being Famous
This is a list of celebrities who quit being famous, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. It seems like everyone wants to be famous these days, but believe it or not, some very popular celebrities and public figures have decided to step out of the spotlight. Some famous people quit because they don't want to deal with the pressure of being a celebrity, while others quit so that they can raise a family.
Who is the most famous person who quit being famous? Elizabeth Hurley tops this list. In 2002, the Austin Powers actress stopped acting so that she could raise her son. "I just can't really make movies as well as be a mum and live in England," she told New York Magazine. "Something had to give, and I decided it wasn't going to be my relationship with my son. I decided I wanted to take him to school every day, which I do." Other famous actresses who retired from acting include Phoebe Cates, Meg Ryan, and Greta Garbo.
Dave Chappelle stunned fans and Hollywood insiders when he left the super successful Chappelle's Show at the height of its popularity in 2005. Chappelle took a trip to South Africa to regroup. He spoke about the decision, stating, "coming here I don't have the distractions of fame. It quiets the ego down. I'm interested in the kind of person I've got to become. I want to be well rounded and the industry is a place of extremes. I want to be well balanced." Other actors who quit working in Hollywood include Sean Connery and Cary Grant.
Why do you think these public figures and famous people decided to step out of the spotlight? What do you think about an actor who quits from show business? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
Justin Bieber stated he was stepping back from creating music in an Instagram post to his fans on March 25, 2019. The singer mentioned that he wanted to focus on "repairing some of the deep rooted issues" he had and to spend more time being the husband and father he wanted to be. He made sure to note that it was a temporary hiatus and that he would return with a vengeance.
Bieber's last album, Purpose, was released in 2015, though he appeared as a guest on other artists' tracks as recently as 2017. He married Hailey Baldwin in November 2018.
- Age: 29
- Birthplace: London, Canada
- Photo: fallontonight / Instagram
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useIn 2002, Austin Powers actress Elizabeth Hurley stopped acting so that she could raise her son.
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Basingstoke, United Kingdom
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainIn 2003, Sean Connery retired from Hollywood after his box office flop The League of Extraordinary Gentleman was released.
- Age: Oct. at 90 (1930-2020)
- Birthplace: Fountainbridge, United Kingdom
- In 1965, Cary Grant retired from acting to focus on being a father. He was 62 at the time.
- Age: Dec. at 82 (1904-1986)
- Birthplace: Horfield, United Kingdom
- Photo: Everett Collection / Shutterstock.comDave Chappelle stunned fans and Hollywood insiders when he left the super successful "Chappelle's Show" at the height of its popularity in 2005. Chappelle took a trip to South Africa to regroup. He spoke about the decision, stating, "Coming here, I don't have the distractions of fame. It quiets the ego down. I'm interested in the kind of person I've got to become. I want to be well rounded and the industry is a place of extremes. I want to be well balanced."
- Age: 49
- Birthplace: Washington, D.C.