List of celebrities who self-harm, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Self-harm is when an individual inflicts an injury upon themselves without the intention of suicide. Cutting is a common form of self-harm and adolescents are the most likely age group to engage in the destructive activity, and even the biggest stars are not immune. Like other troubled people around the world, many famous actors, actresses, and musicians have struggled with self-harm.
Who is the most famous celebrity who engages or once engaged in self-harm? Megan Fox tops our list. The Transformers actress was asked by Rolling Stone magazine if she was a cutter. To which she replied, "Yeah, but I don't want to elaborate. I would never call myself a cutter. Girls go through different phases when they’re growing up, when they’re miserable and do different things, whether it’s an eating disorder or they dabble in cutting." Other actresses who self-harm include Angelina Jolie, Lindsay Lohan, and Christina Ricci. Several famous men have also engaged in self harm.
Russell Brand has self inflicted scars which he gave to himself when he was young. As does Johnny Depp. Depp has said, "My body is a journal in a way. It's like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist." Other celebs who were self harmers include Princess Diana, Marilyn Manson, and Colin Farrell.
Lindsay Lohan has not spoken publicly about inflicting self harm, but the Mean Girls actress has been spotted with several cuts on her arms.(Source)
- Birthplace: New York, New York, USA
- Profession: Fashion designer, Entrepreneur, Singer-songwriter, Model, Designer
- Credits: Herbie Fully Loaded, Mean Girls, The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday
Drew Barrymore is rumored to have been a cutter when she was younger and she attempted suicide at age 13 by cutting her wrists.(Source 1, 2)
- Birthplace: Culver City, California, USA
- Profession: Television producer, Film Producer, Model, Screenwriter, Author
- Credits: Donnie Darko, Charlie's Angels, Scream, My Date with Drew
Colin Farrell said that he enjoyed the sensation of pulling out chunks of his own hair when he was a teen.(Source)
- Birthplace: Castleknock, Dublin, Ireland
- Profession: Film Producer, Actor
- Credits: Phone Booth, Total Recall, In Bruges, Miami Vice
Princess Diana told NBC that she used to hurt herself because she was unhappy with the way she was being treated by Prince Charles. She recalled, "He said I was crying wolf. So I picked up a penknife off his dressing table and I scratched myself heavily and there was a lot of blood."(Source)
- Birthplace: Sandringham, England
- Profession: Crown Princess