The death of a close friend is a terrible loss, particularly when it happens seemingly out of the blue. When such a tragedy befalls a celebrity, their private grief often becomes a public affair. Sadly, many famous actors and musicians have lost loved ones due to unexpected circumstances like illnesses, overdoses, and accidents. Many of these stars have spoken candidly about their heartache, and still pay tribute to their fallen friends to this day.
This list includes pop star Miley Cyrus, whose childhood friend, Vanessa, died of cystic fibrosis in 2007. Cyrus honors her memory with a tattoo on her ribcage which reads, "Just Breathe." After Paul Walker passed away following a deadly car accident in 2013, Vin Diesel made several touching tributes to his friend. Perhaps the most heartwarming memorial was naming his daughter, Pauline, in honor of his Fast & Furious co-star. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger became close friends on the set of the Oscar-winning film, Brokeback Mountain. Gyllenhaal is even the godfather of Ledger's daughter, Matilda. Ledger died of a drug overdose in 2008.These celebrity friends died under different circumstances, but all of them are missed by their loved ones. Read on to discover more touching tributes and moving stories of friendship.
- Lea Michele's good friend and boyfriend, Cory Monteith, died of a drug overdose in 2013. She tattooed the number 5 – which Monteith wore as a quarterback in the sitcom Glee – on her ribcage in tribute to her lost friend.
- Age: 35
- Birthplace: Bronx, New York, USA
- Alternative Name: Lea Michelle
- Photo: s_bukley / ShutterstockPaul Walker died in a car accident in 2013, and his Fast & Furious co-star and close friend Vin Diesel has spoken openly about the loss. In perhaps his most touching tribute to Walker, Diesel named his daughter Pauline.
- Age: 54
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Pop star Demi Lovato's childhood best friend, Trenton Stout, committed suicide at age 13 as a result of school bullying.
- Age: 29
- Birthplace: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States of America
- In 1996, Snoop Dogg's good friend and frequent collaborator, Tupac Shakur, died after being shot in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas. Snoop resurrected his friend via hologram during his 2012 headlining set at Coachella.
- Age: 49
- Birthplace: USA, Long Beach, California