The death of a close friend is a terrible loss, particularly when it happens seemingly out of the blue. When such a tragedy befalls a celebrity, their private grief often becomes a public affair. Sadly, many famous actors and musicians have lost loved ones due to unexpected circumstances like illnesses, overdoses, and accidents. Many of these stars have spoken candidly about their heartache, and still pay tribute to their fallen friends to this day.
This list includes pop star Miley Cyrus, whose childhood friend, Vanessa, died of cystic fibrosis in 2007. Cyrus honors her memory with a tattoo on her ribcage which reads, "Just Breathe." After Paul Walker passed away following a deadly car accident in 2013, Vin Diesel made several touching tributes to his friend. Perhaps the most heartwarming memorial was naming his daughter, Pauline, in honor of his Fast & Furious co-star. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger became close friends on the set of the Oscar-winning film, Brokeback Mountain. Gyllenhaal is even the godfather of Ledger's daughter, Matilda. Ledger died of a drug overdose in 2008.These celebrity friends died under different circumstances, but all of them are missed by their loved ones. Read on to discover more touching tributes and moving stories of friendship.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainMiley Cyrus' childhood friend, Vanessa, died of cystic fibrosis in 2007, and both of her grandfathers passed away due to lung cancer. She honors their memories with a tattoo on her ribcage, reading "Just Breathe" in flowing script.
- Age: 27
- Birthplace: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
- Alternative Name: Hannah Montana, Destiny Cyrus, Destiny Hope Cyrus
- Sean Combs and The Notorious B.I.G. seemed inseparable when they blasted onto the rap scene in the '90s. After Biggie was killed in a drive-by shooting in 1997, Combs paid tribute to the legendary rapper with the song "I'll Be Missing You."
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: Harlem, New York, USA
- Alternative Name: Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, P. Diddy, Sean "Diddy" Combs, Diddy, Sean "Puffy" Combs
- Jerry Seinfeld and Garry Shandling were longtime friends and superstars on the comedy scene. Garry Shandling passed away from a sudden heart attack in 2016. Ironically, the 2015 episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee featuring Shandling was entitled, "It’s Great Garry Shandling Is Still Alive."
- Age: 66
- Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York, USA
Diana RossPhoto: Tim Cameresi / via PinterestDiana Ross was such good friends with pop icon Michael Jackson that he named her as the back-up guardian of his children in his will.