9 Celebrities Whose Parents Have Been In Prison
List of Celebrities Whose Parents Have Been in Prison, ranked by fame and popularity. Several famous people came from less than traditional upbringings because their parents spent time in prison. Some of these famous people's mothers were actually pregnant with their future stars while they were incarcerated. One famous actor's father was convicted of multiple murders.
Who is the most famous person whose parents have been in prison? Lindsay Lohan tops our list. The Mean Girls actress's father Michael Lohan has been in and out of prison. The list of charges against him include insider trading, driving under the influence, and assault. Hunger Games actor Woody Harrelson's father spent most of his life in prison after being convicted of two murder charges. He attempted to escape in 1995, but he was caught and sent to the Supermax prison ADX Florence.
"Gossip Girl" actress Leighton Meester's mother was serving time in prison on drug charges throughout her pregnancy.Tupac Shakur's mother Afeni Shakur was very involved in the Black Panthers party, and she spent almost a year in jail for conspiracy against the U.S. government. She was acquitted of all charges, and Tupac was born one month after her release from jail.Do you think that having parents who were incarcerated made it hard to enjoy childhood? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Lindsay Lohan's father Michael has been in and out of prison for decades. The list of charges against him include insider trading (1990), violating probation (1997), driving under the influence, and assault (2004).
- Age: 36
- Birthplace: New York, New York, USA
- Woody Harrelson's father spent most of his life in prison after being convicted of two murder charges. A hitman, Charles Harrelson was convicted in 1973 for the 1968 murder of Sam Degelia. While out on parole, he shot and killed U.S. District Judge John H. Wood, Jr. in 1979. Harrelson attempted to escape prison in 1995, but he was caught and sent to the Supermax prison ADX Florence. He died of cancer in 2007.
- Age: 61
- Birthplace: Texas, USA, Midland
- Photo: Schlitz Playhouse of Stars, Barkin, Herman and Associates/Wikimedia Commons/Public Domain / David Shankbone/Wikimedia Commons/CC BY-SA 3.0Drew Barrymore's childhood was less than traditional. Her father, John Drew Barrymore, went to jail several times in the 1950s and '60s for public drunkenness, drug abuse, and domestic violence against his first wife Cara.
- Age: 48
- Birthplace: Culver City, California, USA
- While pregnant, "Gossip Girl" actress Leighton Meester's mother, Constance, was serving time in federal prison. She had been convicted as part of a drug ring that smuggled marijuana from Jamaica to the U.S. Meester was born in a hospital, and her mother was able to spend a few months with her newborn in a halfway house. She was then raised by her grandparents until her mother got released from prison.
- Age: 37
- Birthplace: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
- Photo: John West aka John West Jr & Afeni Shakur (RIP) / Wikimedia Commons (cropped) / CC BY-SA 4.0Tupac Shakur's mother, Afeni Shakur, was very involved in the Black Panthers Party. She took part in several bombings and was charged with over 150 charges of Conspiracy against the U.S. government and New York landmarks. She acted as her own criminal defense attorney in her trial, but starting in 1970, she spent 11 months in jail. Shakur was eventually acquitted of all charges, and Tupac was born one month after her release.
- Age: Dec. at 25 (1971-1996)
- Birthplace: East Harlem, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: @sharki81/Twitter / Glenn Francis of www.PacificProDigital.com/Wikimedia Commons/CC BY-SA 3.0When Hayden Panettiere was 18, her father, Skip, was sent to jail after being charged with misdemeanor spousal battery against her mother. Panettiere's parents divorced in 2012.
- Age: 33
- Birthplace: Palisades, New York, USA