Many famous people have chosen to adopt a "second self," or alter ego - like musicians who develop personas as a way to push themselves creatively or break into a new genre, or comedians who use them as a way to go unrecognized. Most celebrities have one, maybe two alter egos. One female rapper even has as many as 19.
Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen has several hilarious alter egos - including Ali G, Borat, Brüno, and Admiral General Haffaz Aladeen - who have all been featured on film and on TV. He uses his funny personas for comedic purposes, and he even appeared at the Oscars as his Aladeen alter ego. Female pop stars like Beyoncé and Katy Perry often performed as their alter egos, Sasha Fierce and Kathy Beth Terry, respectively. Other singers and actors who have donned alternate personalities include Miley Cyrus and Jennifer Lopez.
While some may question the benefits of an alter ego or why a celebrity would adopt several different names, these successful stars showcase how personas can help bolster one's career. And if these celebs are anything like Bae, they know that sometimes, all good things must end. Even pop personas. RIP Sasha Fierce.
- Photo: TwitterKaty Perry introduced her nerdy alter-ego Kathy Beth Terry in her video for “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)."
- Age: 35
- Birthplace: Santa Barbara, California, United States of America
- Photo: TwitterJustin Bieber has a glasses wearing rapper alter ego Shawty Mane.
- Age: 26
- Birthplace: London, Canada
- Photo: Pinterest
In 2009, Jennifer Lopez, AKA J-Lo, introduced her mysterious new alter ego, Lola.
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Castle Hill, New York City, New York, USA
Will Smith first rose to stardom in the late-80s as his alter ego, the Fresh Prince. He was so successful that he made the jump from rapping to acting with his hit sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. He switched back to Will Smith as he started his film career.
- Age: 52
- Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania