Celtic rock artists list, with photos, ranked best to worst by votes. List of good celtic rock bands includes a filter so you can sort by the groups’s label and what albums they've put out. This list of the top celtic rock bands in the world includes all musicians who have released recordings that have gotten distribution, and is an up-to-date list. Celtic rock groups and artists are shown below along with any additional genres in which their music belongs. If available, you can also see information about where all celtic rock bands on this list got started. These are truly the greatest celtic rock bands of all time, since the most famous celtic rock artists ever are listed, and the order is decided by actual fans of the best celtic rock music.
You can click on the celtic rock band names to see more information about that particular notable celtic rock group. If they're near the top of the best celtic rock artist list, though, then they should have at least some information available. All the top celtic rock bands named on the list also have discographies on their pages if you click on the celtic rock band names themselves.
The list you're viewing is made up of artists like Thin Lizzy and Dire Straits. Rank the best artists by voting for them. Which is the better choice for the top of this list Mark Knopfler or Gary Moore?
All important, significant and iconic names in celtic rock music history deserve your votes, so make sure to choose wisely. You can only vote once on this list.
The list includes all new celtic rock bands, and if there are any missing on the list, you can always add them yourself. Just make sure they aren't already on the list and check your spelling, because this is already an accurate compilation of the best examples of celtic rock, as well as a good place to start if you're asking yourself, or friends, exactly how to get into celtic rock music. Especially since the bands at the top of the list will at the very least be the best choices if you're looking for a list of good celtic rock bands with which to start out. No point in listening to them if they aren't actually good or even half-way decent celtic rock bands.
This list answers the questions "who are the best celtic rock bands of all time?" and "who is the greatest celtic rock musician ever?"
If you know enough about the genre, please vote based on the quality of the band's music instead of just voting for the most popular celtic rock bands that you might've heard of, but not really listened to closely enough to cast an informed vote.
Get your social network's opinion by re-ranking the list, making it votable then sharing it.
- 20075Thin Lizzy are a hard rock band formed in Dublin, Ireland, in 1969. Two of the founding members, drummer Brian Downey and bass guitarist and lead vocalist Phil Lynott, met while still in school.... more
- 222101The Pogues were a British Celtic punk band fronted by Shane MacGowan and others, founded in Kings Cross, London in 1982, as "Pogue Mahone" – the anglicisation of the Irish Gaelic póg mo thóin,... more
- 263128Dire Straits were a British rock band formed in London in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (lead vocals and lead guitar), David Knopfler (rhythm guitar and backing vocals), John Illsley (bass guitar and backing... more
- 257125Mark Freuder Knopfler ( NOP-flər; born 12 August 1949) is a British singer-songwriter, guitarist, record producer, and film score composer. He was the lead guitarist, lead singer, and songwriter for... more
- 290160Dropkick Murphys are an American Celtic punk band formed in Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1996. The band was initially signed to independent punk record label Hellcat Records, releasing five albums for... more
- 16775Big Country are a Scottish rock band formed in Dunfermline, Fife, in 1981. The height of the band's popularity was in the early to mid 1980s, although it retained a cult following for many years... more
- 206109Runrig are a Scottish Celtic rock group formed in Skye, in 1973 under the name 'The Run Rig Dance Band'. Since its inception, the band's line-up has included songwriters Rory Macdonald and Calum... more
- 11240Capercaillie is a Scottish folk band that was founded in the 1980s by Donald Shaw and led by Karen Matheson. Capercaillie performs traditional Gaelic and contemporary English songs. The group adapts... more
- 229129Flogging Molly is an Irish–American seven-piece Celtic punk band led by Irish vocalist Dave King, formerly of the hard rock band Fastway. They are signed to their own record label, Borstal Beat... more
- 16687The Cranberries were an Irish rock band formed in Limerick, Ireland in 1989 by lead singer Niall Quinn, guitarist Noel Hogan, bassist Mike Hogan, and drummer Fergal Lawler. Quinn was replaced as lead... more
- 13160Horslips are an Irish Celtic rock band that compose, arrange and perform songs based on traditional Irish jigs and reels. The group are regarded as 'founding fathers of Celtic rock' for their fusion... more
Irish Folk Rock, Celtic Rock, Rock Music
- 609Sir George Ivan "Van" Morrison OBE (born 31 August 1945) is a Northern Irish singer-songwriter, instrumentalist and record producer. His professional career began as a teenager in the late 1950s... more
- 10461The Killdares are a Dallas celtic rock group formed in 1996. The group has released five studio albums and two live music projects; the live CD LIVE from 2002 and live DVD/dual CD combo Up Against... more
- 406Donovan (born Donovan Philips Leitch, 10 May 1946) is a Scottish singer, songwriter and guitarist. He developed an eclectic and distinctive style that blended folk, jazz, pop, psychedelia, and world... more
- 335Clannad are an Irish band formed in 1970 in Gweedore, County Donegal. Their music has been variously described as bordering on folk and folk rock, traditional Irish, Celtic and new-age, often... more
- 284Them were a Northern Irish rock band formed in Belfast in April 1964, most prominently known for the garage rock standard "Gloria" and launching singer Van Morrison's musical career. The original... more
- 7655Black 47 was a celtic rock band from New York City, formed in 1989 by Larry Kirwan and Chris Byrne, and derives its name from a traditional term for the summer of 1847, the worst year of the Great... more
- 4926Loreena Isabel Irene McKennitt, (born February 17, 1957) is a Canadian musician, composer, harpist, accordionist, and pianist who writes, records and performs world music with Celtic and Middle... more
- 3715Oysterband is an English electric folk, folk rock, and folk punk band formed in Canterbury in or around 1976.... more
- 265Jubilee Riots is a Canadian Indie/Folk Rock world-fusion band based in Toronto, Canada. Formerly called Enter the Haggis, the band has been playing and recording since 1996. Their latest studio... more
- 7457The Proclaimers are a Scottish music duo composed of twin brothers Charlie and Craig Reid (born 5 March 1962). They are best known for their songs "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)", "Sunshine on Leith",... more
- 10799The Red Hot Chilli Pipers are an ensemble consisting of pipers, guitarists, keyboards and drummers formed in Scotland in 2002. They entered and won the BBC talent show When Will I Be Famous? Their... more
- 235Silly Wizard was a Scottish folk band that began forming in Edinburgh in 1970. The founder members were two like-minded university students—Gordon Jones and Bob Thomas. The as-yet-unnamed band was... more