Graveyard Shift
42.2k readers

The True Story That Inspired The Charlie-No-Face Urban Legend

Updated October 28, 2020 42.2k views12 items
Editor's Note: Voting and Reranking have been closed.

Many of the wildest urban legends in history are based on true stories. These cautionary tales have a seed of truth hidden in their center to boost their believability, like the Charlie-No-Face urban legend and the true story behind it

In 1919, a boy named Ray Robinson was severely injured and disfigured after accidentally touching a powerline near his home in Western Pennsylvania. The accident caused Robinson to lose his eyes, nose, and one hand and afterwards he would spend most of his life indoors, going out only for walks at night in order to avoid people.

This humble origin story launched the urban legend about Charlie-No-Face - aka The Green Man. The legend painted him as a monster or a ghost, glowing green from the accident that disfigured him, who stalked the Pennsylvania roads at night. 

The truth is much less sinister. 

  • Photo: Elliott Brown / Flickr / CC BY 2.0

    The Electrical Line That Disfigured Him Killed Another Boy

    Robinson lived near the Wallace Run bridge, which housed a 22,000-volt power line for the trolley line from Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania to Ellwood City. The massive bridge was a a popular spot for children to play. 

    In 1918, Robert Littell died while playing on the bridge with friends after making contact with the power line. Littel suffered severe burns and died two weeks later. One year later, Robinson would encounter the same power line while he and his friends attempted to look inside a bird's nest on the bridge.

  • Photo: PublicDomainPictures / Pixabay

    Doctors Did Not Expect Robinson To Survive

    While playing on a trolley bridge with friends, Robinson is said to have attempted to climb in for a closer look at a bird's nest and accidentally touched a power line. The line sent 11,000 volts through the 8-year-old, throwing him to the ground and sending him to the hospital.

    The accident cause Robinson to lose his eyes, his nose, and one arm from the elbow down. He was left severely disfigured with severe burns to his body. A newspaper headline at the time of his recovery read, "Doctors Marvel That Boy Lives".  

  • Some Say His Family Refused To Eat Meals With Him

    Robinson's nephew told reporters that no one ever treated his uncle differently in the home that Robinson shared with his mother, step-father, and other family members. The nephew further claimed that no one talked about Robinson's accident or disfigurement.

    Other stories say that Robinson's family couldn't look at him and that he was not allowed to eat meals with them. A documentary filmmaker who owns the rights to Robinson's story claims that the boy was kept hidden away from the world by his family.

  • Photo: Free-Photos / Pixabay

    Robinson's Family Didn't Like His Nightly Walks

    To break from the solitude, Robinson began walking Route 351, going at night to avoid the stares of passersby. His mother was not fond of her blind son traveling alone for hours in the dark, but that didn't stop him.

    Robinson would typically leave around 10 PM and return before midnight. Allegedly, there were nights when he wouldn't return home and his family would find him passed out a field from drinking too much.